Author Topic: Any excel experts?  (Read 6156 times)

Offline k-hat

Re: Any excel experts?
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2018, 04:07:52 pm »
Oh please don't name it after me lol.  Yeah I can add a field where people can customize the strain percent as well if we want it.  Small easy change.

Glad ya like it!

Offline Badger

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2018, 04:08:13 pm »
  Maybe on this same thread we will discuss the test parameters to see how the 99.5 works out. At what point set is a no go etc. I favor a few inches of radius before set happens as a cushion.

Offline Badger

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2018, 04:16:11 pm »
   I think a good method for identifying set at it's earliest stages would be using a deflection method like we would use checking spine on an arrow. As soon as it drops we have reached the plastic range. I imagine creating a radius gauge to wrap it around would be the best way to stress it so I don't get an uneven bend. Suggestions welcome.

Offline willie

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2018, 04:52:18 pm »
I imagine creating a radius gauge to wrap it around would be the best way to stress it so I don't get an uneven bend. Suggestions welcome.

you mean a set of templates of various radii? like maybe cut out of thin plywood? That would be useful for checking limbs in a stiff handled bow, or a bow with short working areas? I think there would still be some math involved to pick the correct template.

I wonder if there is a way to develop a formula that could work in the background of the calculator..... such that we only need to specify a few more inputs? One might have to plug in a few more inputs like the length of the working area, its distance from the center and the overall length of the bow.

Offline Badger

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2018, 05:07:10 pm »
  Willie, all you need is the thickness and then know not to exceed a min radius for that thickness. You could easily adjust a gizmo to reflect any desired radius.

Offline willie

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2018, 06:28:06 pm »
Steve, I am confused about how you propose to tiller using this web tool/gizmo set-up for anything except a constant radius bendy handled bow. What are these gauges you speak of?

Offline Badger

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2018, 06:37:59 pm »
  Willie, I am not so sure how well it would work it might not be sensitive enough. It is basically just a tillering aid that would let you know when you are approaching the bending limits on a specific area. You take a quick thickness reading and the calculator tells you where to set your gizmo at.
An acceptable bend for wood 7/8 thick would look nothing like a bend for 3/8 thick. If you are working on a much longer bow or anything outside your norm it would just offer a caution warning and give you advance warning before you took set.

You take a reading on the bow anywhere you want or need to and react to that specific area. I see tons of bows on here that are bending too much in parts of the limb. On a tapered bow you might want 3 setting for instance.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 06:41:23 pm by Badger »

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2018, 05:25:12 pm »
Man...I've been reading this thread and although I make good bows, some of you guys are light years ahead of me. I guess my approach is a whole lot more organic...or haphazard depending on your perspective. I bet some of you guys day job is Rocket Scientist or something. Not being critical, just in awe of the brain power in this room. Seriously.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God