Author Topic: Cut in shelf questions.  (Read 16039 times)

Offline PatM

Re: Cut in shelf questions.
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2018, 12:10:10 pm »
   What are the rules in that category?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2018, 12:25:56 pm »
No idea, Pat. I just built what was asked for. It just so happens they both told me their intentions with the new bows.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2018, 01:39:20 pm »
I cut them in just a little, perhaps 3/16", I will cut a little deeper is my arrows are flying left a bit.

Offline PatM

« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2018, 02:31:34 pm »
No idea, Pat. I just built what was asked for. It just so happens they both told me their intentions with the new bows.

I just wondered how far guys would take an allowance on the rules if they were a bit ambiguous.   

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2018, 04:40:57 pm »
I am going out to shoot my bow with no shelf,, at my highest level of accuracy,, and dream of killing a turkey with it,, :G

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2018, 07:05:25 pm »
I like something for the arrow to rest on cause I like to shoot with a bare hand and it hurts when the arrow grazes my skin.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2018, 08:43:24 pm »
Love the passion people have! Just always wonder what it is placed in us that delights in these sort of things. At the heart of it, go make some shavings and enjoy it by the name you choose, and send up a thanks for it  :)

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2018, 12:29:09 am »
I wonder what Ben Pearson new about bow building and how many he sold. God bless his soul. Arvin

Thank you for SO MASTERFULLY MAKING MY POINT.  Pearson bows were not primitive archery. If you want to make a bow that is the fastest, or most stable or easiest to shoot, you don't care a fig about primitive bows. You might just as well buy a carbon fiber example.

Bows that imitate space age designs are not primitive.

I believe everyone is entitled to their own interpretation of what makes a bow primitive.  Your view is exactly that, it's yours.  That doesn't mean everyone else has to have the same opinion on what makes a bow primitive.   

If you want to make a bow that is the fastest, or most stable or easiest to shoot, you don't care a fig about primitive bows. You might just as well buy a carbon fiber example.

This statement has me dumbfounded.  So if I try to build a fast, stable bow for hunting season that means I don't care a fig newton about primitive bows?  Really?  If I'm trying to kill an animal with a selfbow I want it to be the best possible bow that I'm capable of making.   So in  your opinion everyone should be building slow, hand shocky bows that are hard to shoot so they can say they are primitive?

Your handle looks great, but do you get arrow slap with the window so steep?
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2018, 12:31:20 am »
I feel bad for the guy who started this thread. He asked a simple question and gets preached to. There isn't a primitive builder on this site. Just a bunch of wood bow lovers with varying degrees of tool usage.

Bingo, wish others would remember this at times.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2018, 07:20:23 am »
Same rules as a Traditional Long bow Pat, Can't be cut to center, 1/8 out I think and not elevated. Anyway back to his question, I usually cut in some kind of shelf Then a leather wedge to hold the arrow on the shelf for hunting, the one thing you have to remember is if yo cut the window be sure not to cut it high enough so it is in the working part of the top limb, if it bends at that point it will lift a splinter at best or at worse blow the to limb, no different than violating the longitude grain in the limb anywhere else. My handle is usually plenty thick so haven't had a problem there but have had it split where the cut window meets the top limb. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Online Selfbowman

« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2018, 07:54:36 am »
Guys Mark and I have been trying for some years to get interest in the Selfbow challenge and the IBO shoot in the primitive division. Most of the hot shots won't shoot without shelfs. We are trying to promote the art of wood bows and the heritage of the bow with little help from the purest . Primitive Archer has supported it in the past and we think them for that! That's a international shoot and some good exposure for what you guys believe in. Where it all started. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline PatM

« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2018, 08:11:54 am »
Guys Mark and I have been trying for some years to get interest in the Selfbow challenge and the IBO shoot in the primitive division. Most of the hot shots won't shoot without shelfs. We are trying to promote the art of wood bows and the heritage of the bow with little help from the purest . Primitive Archer has supported it in the past and we think them for that! That's a international shoot and some good exposure for what you guys believe in. Where it all started. Arvin

Are the selfbow and primitive classes separate?

Online Selfbowman

« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2018, 08:29:22 am »
No Pat .  But  if we don't evolve some we die. I would like to go back in time where life was not easier but more simple and take as many people with me   as possible. It's easier to get your horse to come to you with a carrot than it is a stick.  Just saying. Arvin

Offline PatM

« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2018, 08:36:09 am »
   Is the problem that shelf less guys just don't join the class?

Online Selfbowman

« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2018, 08:54:10 am »
Look Pat the Problem is the primitive is not showing up to promote what they love. I am not trying to be rude or smart here . This is just the facts. I wish that there was a big enough crowd their to possibly do some good for their love of primitive bows. Arvin