Author Topic: Bandsaw question  (Read 5620 times)

Offline Titan_Bow

Bandsaw question
« on: March 25, 2008, 03:36:13 pm »
 I have a line on a Harbor Freight 14" woodworking bandsaw at a really good price.  I am wondering if this saw is going to be work for roughing out staves etc.  I have an old 9" saw, and it doesnt work well at all.  Is a 14" saw big enough?  I am not sure the motor size on this saw, and I cant find it on their website.  Anyone have this saw?
"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by

Offline DanaM

Re: Bandsaw question
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 04:07:01 pm »
Size ain't everything :D  14" is big enuf more to the point is the horsepower adequete
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Gordon

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 04:11:50 pm »
With the right blade and proper tuning, it should work fine for roughing out bows.
Gordon

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 07:00:15 pm »
Like Gordon said. I think getting the right blade is more important than what saw you use. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 07:05:12 pm »
  Also, take the time to learn how to set your saw up properly, makes all the difference in the world and only takes a few minutes. Steve

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 07:48:24 pm »
Fourteen inch saw is a good saw if it is that tall stand up model they have ,I have a fourteen inch saw and it works great but it is a Industrial sheet metal,metal ,and wood saw with  a gear box on it.but you still have to have the right blade to cut with.
                                                                        Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Slivershooter

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 09:23:21 pm »
Like everybody said, the blade is most important.  Also, like Badger said, a properly tuned saw will cut faster, cleaner, easier, and the saw will last longer.

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 03:13:44 pm »
Howdy Titan,

Generally speaking, I have never bought anything of Quality from Harbor Fraught.

As for your bandsaw question, I have a 10" bandsaw that I do a good amount of work with.  So, I have to agree with these guys in saying that a well tuned machine, with the correct (new) blade is the way to go.

Get yourself a book on Tuning Your Baldsaw, it'll show you how to set the tension and to set up those guides - that really helps.

Good Luck,
Canoe
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 07:38:04 pm »
 I have that exact saw.What the guys are telling you is exactly right.Has to be properly tuned and It seems to do best with a stout blade.I have benn using re-saw blades and that works real well.I sawed some 7 foot long black locust staves in half lengthwise with it and it did fine,gotta make sure you don't try to feed it through too fast,slow and easy and it cut straight. Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Jesse

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 08:51:42 pm »
  how much are they asking? Grizzly makes a nice one for cheap.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 09:19:13 pm »
I believe the question you are asking is if the price is right and thats what you can afford it will probably be a good saw
                          Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 01:22:26 pm »
I bought the 14" saw from Grizzley,sorry about that.I buy alot of stuff from harbour freight and got confused there.I have not bought any machines from H.F. Anyway,the 14 inch saw I have has a 1 H.P. motor and that seems plenty.  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 01:38:32 pm »
Frank, Most of my power equipment has come from Grizzly and IMO they sell excellent stuff at a relatively reasonably price. They also have all the parts you may ever need and a great tech support department. I have never bought anything from HF so I can't comment on any of their products.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2008, 02:25:04 pm »
It'll work fine if you take your time and split your staves down to a managable size first before you go crazy with the saw. Your not going to be able to cut super thick unsquared stave. I split all mine down to about two inches thick and try to square it up (with a draw knife) to the table before I begin cutting.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Bent Rig

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008, 05:14:20 pm »
I was just there - it has a 1hp motor . Looks decent - but never have bought any power tools from them - but if your only using it for bow making - it will probably do the job .
Syracuse , NY------------"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
                                                                                     - Benjamin Franklin