Author Topic: Front profile for Maple ELB?  (Read 1173 times)

Offline Julian

Front profile for Maple ELB?
« on: March 06, 2018, 03:55:56 am »
I've roughed out a stave for an ELB from my maple slab. I wanted to hear some advice on layout and width. Currently my stave is 1 and 1/4" wide at the handle, tapering to 3/8 at the tips, which will obviously come thinner as the bow progresses.

My goal weight is 35# for this bow.

I've never made an ELB before, so Maybe Del or Badger could chip in on this.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Front profile for Maple ELB?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 04:30:01 am »
I generally have full width say 30mm for a centre section about 6-10" either side of center (yes I know I'm mixing metric and imperial :) but mm are v good for width and thickness). So your 1 1/4" looks about right :)
From there I do a straight line taper to 20mm at the tip*, BUT, once it's drawing say 20" I do extra width taper over the last 6-10" or so to blend it in to a narrow tip for the nock which is as small as you dare make it  >:D.
I've just measured my 90# Yew flight ELB and its 10.5mm where the horn nock meets the limb so your 3.8" is fine, mind I'd have left it wider for initial tillering.
Some people make 'em linear taper all along, I like the slightly "Spitfire's wing" look where it's a slightly curved taper. Starts of gentle and then tapers in more near the tip.
Hope this is some help
Del
* The extra tip width during early tiller helps avoid it bending sideways. Similarly you can leave it a little wider all over until braced and moving, then give it a lick over the belt sander to tidy the width down.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 04:34:53 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Julian

Re: Front profile for Maple ELB?
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 04:47:37 am »
Thanks!!

Wish I had a belt sander. But it's a block plane for me :P