Author Topic: Osage: Best design for hunting?  (Read 3397 times)

Offline smoke

Osage: Best design for hunting?
« on: March 06, 2018, 01:01:58 pm »
Folks, I have a couple very nice, long, straight osage staves that I'm itching to start working on.  I want good hunting bows - fast, accurate, and durable.  Given that objective, what would those of you who love osage recommend as a design?  Thanks much, Don

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Osage: Best design for hunting?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 01:14:14 pm »
Flatbow .  2x your draw length + handle an fades for the length. Bout 1.5 wide at the fades and .375 at the tips.  IMO Nothing fancy
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 01:50:28 pm »
And if I were doing it, NO "FLIPPED" TIPS.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 01:59:31 pm »
Pretty much what Bill said. I like draw length x2 plus 10" for the grip fade area.  Its solid, slightly over-built and draws and shoots nice. My hunting bows have contoured grips for comfort and repeatability, and wine cork rests large enough to easily hold my arrow while my bow swings in the breeze in my tree stands. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 02:20:47 pm »
What was said earlier is all good.Got a question though.What type of hunting?tree stand hunting//blind hunting/stalk hunting/small game hunting/large game hunting?????I'm gonna assume deer.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline smoke

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 02:28:33 pm »
Thanks guys.  BowEd, in response to your question, I do a lot of treestand hunting for whitetails but also mix it up from time to time.  For instance, I"ll be doing a black bear trip to Manitoba and a moose trip to Alberta this year.  Have mule deer on tap for 2019.  So a mix of stand and stalk hunting.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 02:39:06 pm »
Cool....I like that a lot.A controversial type question I'll put this way.Reason I asked is that I shoot at turkeys from blind if I'm lucky...lol.I like shooting a 60" bow then.I like a 62" to 66" stiff 8" handled bow and even a 68" bow with parallel width limbs and 10" stiff narrow levers on the tips.Smooth drawing/stable/and stores a lot of energy.Not everyones type of bow but has served me very well.
Really in the end it's a bow you shoot a lot that your married up to and have a great amount of confidence with.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 07:19:27 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 03:25:18 pm »
For durability bow length and draw length go hand in hand.
What your draw length?

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 03:42:42 pm »
This is a great question, and also very difficult to answer for someone else. But These are all great suggestion and good starting points until you find what you like. Im on the other end of the spectrum. I hunt with shorter bows, 52'-58" at my 26" draw, bend in the handle. Its most important to be able to shoot accurately, which is by far easier to do with a longer bow,
Eric

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 03:47:54 pm »
Best design hands down, nobody can argue is the one you are most accurate and comfortable with. Everything else is subjective.

Me, I shoot 48-50 inch long bows  high sharp hooks that resemble siyahs. 45-55 range at 26-28".
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 04:19:27 pm by sleek »
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline smoke

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 05:01:03 pm »
Thanks guys for all of your input.  I'm now inspired and ready to go . . . thankfully I have 8 or 9 staves to play with!  Best, Smoke

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 05:06:48 pm »
If going with a shorter bow pick the best least flawed stave you got.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 05:41:40 pm »
If going with a shorter bow pick the best least flawed stave you got.
For sure... :)

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 06:50:52 pm »
Start with your worst stave. Decide in a design, then make a large version of it. Then tale the next worts, anf make a slightly smaller version of your desired design. Continue until you have learned that design perfectly, and make one exactly how you want with your best stave. I have done that. Great learning experience.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 06:58:22 pm »
Start with your worst stave. Decide in a design, then make a large version of it. Then tale the next worts, anf make a slightly smaller version of your desired design. Continue until you have learned that design perfectly, and make one exactly how you want with your best stave. I have done that. Great learning experience.
What ?