Author Topic: Single loop flemish string -- counter-twist the whole thing?  (Read 1497 times)

Offline txdm

Single loop flemish string -- counter-twist the whole thing?
« on: March 07, 2018, 05:25:40 pm »
Howdy, I'm looking for some advice on my next string.

I've made a couple of single-loop flemish strings, with a spliced loop on one end and a bowyer's knot on other. For both, I've counter twisted the whole length of the string, just continuing from where the loop splices all the way down to the end.

As you can imagine, these turn out a little thick and "beaded" along the part where the serving/arrow-knock goes, having a counter-twist every 1/4" or so. Aside from being a tight fit, I wonder if this makes the string somewhat "lazy" from weight or stretch too.

Is better if I:
  • Stop the counter twisting after the splice altogether, and start it again at the tail, leaving the middle string straight?
  • Continue counter-twisting after the splice, but do it less tightly (somehow) until the end part?
  • Just "regular twist" the string after the splice (not sure if it matters before or after doing the tail part)?

Thanks for looking!

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Re: Single loop flemish string -- counter-twist the whole thing?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 05:57:54 pm »
I do like your first option. Counter twist for about an inch past the end of the splice for the loop. Then I’ll start counter twisting the rat tail where I have plenty of room to adjust. Then I just twist the whole string until the string is round with about a 1 twist per 2” rotation or so.

Kyle

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 07:33:47 pm »
+1

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 09:21:50 pm »
+2
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 10:03:57 pm »
I do a slight twist along the string then a rat tail where the knot will be.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline txdm

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 07:36:12 am »
Thanks for the replies everyone.  (SH)