Author Topic: Pounding or soaking sinew  (Read 15005 times)

Offline willie

Re: Pounding or soaking sinew
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2018, 05:29:48 pm »
Pat, the link should go to a page at the University of OK where you can down load  "The Ray Collection from the Hupa Reservation" It has some additional details about the bow building Ray documented when he was there, among with other facets of Hupa culture.

The blue "download" button in the upper right lets you retrieve the complete paper.

Offline DC

« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2018, 06:25:06 pm »
I got it now, Willie, thanks

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2018, 06:33:37 pm »
Pg 12 is the one you want

Offline sleek

« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2018, 07:42:10 pm »
Well, ima hafta try this too. I have just benn pulling it apart dry without pounding it at all. I found twisting it a bunch like you wpuld if you were trying to snap a green twig, works the fibers loose well enough to pull them out. If doing it wet works, i may just do my twist, worjing it good, then soak and pull.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2018, 11:30:51 pm »
A great way for not much waste for a wood bow. For a high stressed composite horn bow I would not use it as the closed fibers are not as able to accept the glue.

Offline PatM

« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2018, 05:11:04 am »
Speculation or experience?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2018, 07:05:38 am »
It's a good point Chuck.You might have some experience you speak from.You bust and strip more sinew than most anyone on here.Another fellow Adam Karpowicz has busted his fair share too.He states the only reason to not use backstrap is because he thinks it can be too course.The prepared leg sinew prepared from the wet method then dried will be close to the same state of courseness as dryed loin sinew.Stripped leg sinew dry is fluffy and angel hair like of course.
But if it's an absorbtion of glue issue I soak leg sinew dry stripped in water padded dry before dipping it into the glue.Making a few extremely reflexed bows myself I have had no issues of seperation.That's on wood though too.Horn is a different animal like the type bows you make.
If I used backstrap sinew in the past I usually soak it in very warm water to plump it up properly before using it.I will do the same thing with very warm water of this wet stripped and dried leg sinew.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 08:40:55 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PatM

« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2018, 08:03:18 am »
Is there any evidence that warm glue will not penetrate into tendon fibers that have not been pounded?

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2018, 08:32:50 am »
I just sinew backed a wood bow last week with soaked sinew, not pounded.
It soaked up the glue ok. My sinew was wet processed about 90%, then finished stripping
dry. Anyone interested should just try this out for themselves.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2018, 08:49:19 am »
There it is.Good luck wizardgoat.
Sometimes evidence of white streaks in the sinew backing while drying in the past has been blamed for too thin of glue usage.Could be not proper absorbtion of glue also into the sinew or a combination of both.
BowEd
Ed

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2018, 10:29:37 am »
Pat and Ed, it is just speculation on my part. I just don't like to take chances on a bow that takes 8 months. That's why I only use back sinew for the last layers of backing after a good cleaning in dish soap on these bows. I may work fine.

Offline willie

« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2018, 10:46:53 am »
Is there any evidence that warm glue will not penetrate into tendon fibers that have not been pounded?

Is there any evidence that glue actually penetrates into fibers? Most adhesives depend on surface bonding, penetration is a bit of a myth. good surface prep is the key.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2018, 06:19:27 pm »
I can totally understand your reasoning Chuck.
BowEd
Ed

Offline PatM

« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2018, 07:34:32 pm »

Is there any evidence that glue actually penetrates into fibers? Most adhesives depend on surface bonding, penetration is a bit of a myth. good surface prep is the key.

Tendon fibers, yes. 

Offline Mounter

« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2018, 09:33:01 pm »

Tendon fibers, yes.
I agree. Im no where near the bowyer most of you are, so I hate to chime in. I think warm hide glue completely saturates thin sinew strips. An easy test would be to soak strips  in hide glue, let dry then cut in half crosswise and see how deep it penetrated.

As far as the actual bow surface, I doubt the glue penetrates more than a sheet of paper deep.