Author Topic: Monofilament fishing line for serving?  (Read 3981 times)

Offline Ippus

Monofilament fishing line for serving?
« on: March 11, 2018, 05:10:04 pm »
I was bouncing around on Youtube for a video to refresh my memory on serve wrapping, and stumbled across at least one youtuber who swears by monofilament fishing line for serving thread.

He didn't specify 6 or 8 lb test or whatever, but he talked about how it doesn't fray and it's slick and flexible (and if you use a string nock point, you can adjust it by screwing it up and down).

I have serving thread now, but whenever I run out, I'm tempted to give it a try.

What do you guys think?
"There is nothing quite so gentle, deep, and irrational as our running — and nothing quite so savage and so wild.” Bernd Heinrich

Offline PatM

Re: Monofilament fishing line for serving?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 05:17:10 pm »
A lot of people use it. Some serving is just mono not actually marketed for fishing.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 05:18:39 pm »
Never tried it, but I read the exact same question a while back. An ole timer chimed in and if I'm not mistaken it was popular in the 70s or some were in that era. Also they stopped using it for a reason. Cant remember why though. But it cant hurt to try, the worst that can happen is you don't like it, you can always take it off and re serve with something else.
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline Morgan

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 05:19:36 pm »
It’s all I use any more. I think it is great serving for very very little cost. I use the cheap clear zebco brand, it’s around $2 for a spool and you see your string through the serving. It is either 20 or 25 lb test. .021 diameter I believe. As for durability, I haven’t had it wear out on me after several thousand shots.

Offline BSV

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 05:20:53 pm »
in the 70's and 80's my family had a bow shop.mostly compounds,we were full service and did a LOT of servings with mono serving material,i don't know if it is still made but it came on a wood spool that fit in the serving tool.very slick stuff, pre release aids, when folks used fingers on a compound.it was not fishing line.it came in different colors and diameters....Burt 

Offline Morgan

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 05:26:23 pm »
This string serving has had at least 500 arrows nocked on it. Zero perceptable wear. Best bang for my buck.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 05:35:43 pm »
Many commercial dacron strings were served with mono years ago.  I tried it and it works but I find it's a bit more difficult to use, it will unwind itself if you don't keep good tension while making the string.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 05:55:38 pm »
I hate mono! It was the go to serving back in the day, none of the serious shooters I know use it today.

I don't know about modern fishing line but the stuff marketed for bow serving wouldn't hold up. I don't know how many times I was shooting and my mono would serving break and unravel, it was bunch, dozens of times, often in a tournament.

I use the zebra braided serving now, no failures ever.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 06:12:17 pm »
I've used mono before, and it is very hard to work with.  but once it on seems to be fine.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Msturm

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2018, 06:44:12 pm »
I use it on all the bow strings I make, I have been using it for years.  You definitely have to keep tension on it while applying.  I have had no problems with it. The lowest I go is 12 lb. and that's for 16 strand B-50.

Msturm