Author Topic: Cascara heartwood/sapwood  (Read 1220 times)

Offline DC

Cascara heartwood/sapwood
« on: March 12, 2018, 01:10:39 pm »
Is there a marked difference between Cascara heartwood and sapwood? I have a piece with a thin section of heartwood that will probably disappear with tillering. I don't think chasing a ring in the sapwood is an option, I can barely see the rings with a 10X magnifying glass. They're not that small, just faint.

Offline aaron

Re: Cascara heartwood/sapwood
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 02:20:48 pm »
Sometimes has a slightly pink heart, i have never tried to remove sapwood to preserve it. Cascara seems just like vine maple...maybe a little softer
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 03:00:31 pm »
I guess I didn't ask right. Is there any difference performance wise, like Yew sapwood is good in tension and the heartwood is good in compression.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 06:28:46 pm »
Sometimes has a slightly pink heart, i have never tried to remove sapwood to preserve it. Cascara seems just like vine maple...maybe a little softer

You have not worked much Cascara, not even close to the same in qualities, pink is Dogwood . As to the heart wood, seems slightly better in compression. Cascara (unless you chose to make it lumber by decrowning which I personally prefer) is best left as is.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 06:33:59 pm by vinemaplebows »
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.