Author Topic: 1st Annual Mojam Broadhead Flightshoot  (Read 13012 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: 1st Annual Mojam Broadhead Flightshoot
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2018, 08:52:19 am »
    It looks like we will have to start from way back in the corner. We will need a spotter to make sure the field is clear before we open up for shooting
+1...The 3D course to the left in the trees or west of the shooting area will have to be closed during this event also.There is a 3D course on the other side of the driveway or farther west yet for that to be open though.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 08:55:26 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Badger

« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2018, 12:34:29 pm »
   I wouldn't feel right asking them to shut down the 3 d course while we shot. It looks like if we just got way back in that rear corner and used the railroad tracks for a line to shoot just to the left of we would be ok. If there are serious safety concerns we may need to rethink the project and maybe just do the chrono shoot like they did in the first mojam.

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2018, 12:44:53 pm »
This shouldn't affect the 3D shooting at all.  There is a target (sometimes) down at the end where we will be shooting from, but that should be an easy fix by just eliminating that one target.  The 3D shooting is only done for fun anyway and the targets aren't numbered or anything.  We might even see about just moving the 3D range over to the old range instead since it's a better setup anyway now that the bridge has been replaced.  I'll ask Keith.
I just got an email from Keith and he said the 3D course is not a problem.   :OK
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 01:35:04 pm by Bob Barnes »
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Badger

« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2018, 02:42:48 pm »
  The railroad tracks will give the archers a good visual point to align himself to. After the first day of shooting ( Thursday) we will have a good idea how far they are spreading out.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2018, 04:54:48 pm »
OK.That's all good then.It was just a thought that's all and more than likely an over thought too....lol.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2018, 11:14:36 pm »
BowEd, thanks for the heads up.  It was something that needed to be worked out.   :OK

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2018, 07:41:12 am »
That stretch along the railroad tracks should work length wise and width wise.More fun and games in a week of fun and games.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Badger

« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2018, 03:38:37 pm »
   Some of the other members have requested I open the thread back up to further explore suggestions by Tim Baker and Sleek.
I am open to suggestions and will do my best to stay open minded and flexible as long as my own objective is not diluted to the point I loose interest.

1st of all Sleeks suggestion for equaling the playing field for bows with shorter draws. My argument is that I don't feel that this can effectively be accomplished with primitive bows. The method he suggested is a good solid method for comparing bows of different draw lengths. But when it comes to primitive bows handicapping the shorter length bow with a lower arrow weight based on stored energy gives them a distinct advantage. Short draw bows have not been exposed to the same stresses that longer draw bows have been exposed to and will always be more efficient.

I would be ok with grouping shorter draw bows together by draw length and having them compete with other bows of the same draw length using Sleeks method of lowering the grains per pound in relation to draw. It would be interesting to see how they compare. If they were competing against one another I would personally build a 24" draw bow with no set at all.

Tims suggestion of testing is ok by itself but conflicts with what I had in mind when I set out to get a broadhead flight shoot going. My goal is simple. If a shooter wants to  shoot through the chrono and do the flight shoot I would prefer the same shooter did both the chrono and the flight shoot so we could compare the speed and distance. This way if a guy was sitting at home and he was testing his bows he could say. I have that kind of speed so that means I could compete for the top spots in a flight shoot.

If one shooter has a fast release and records a high score on the chrono and another shooter shoots the flight shoot with the same bow it will appear that the bow needs more speed than it really does to reach a certain distance.

OPEN FOR DEBATE!!!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2018, 04:24:38 pm »
I like the idea of the same shooter on both the chrono and distance shoot.Not much room is needed for a chrono shot.A lot of room is needed for a distance shot.
As far as the formulation in arrow weight to shoot 24" draws goes.I'm all for it.If they want to shoot against a 4" longer power stroke that's their business.I'm there for fun and to learn something.
BowEd
Ed

Offline sleek

« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2018, 04:36:46 pm »
Steve, im happy with your solutions, and will be excited to participate in all the events as you have them laid out.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Badger

« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2018, 04:41:08 pm »
Steve, im happy with your solutions, and will be excited to participate in all the events as you have them laid out.

Sleek, I started another thread you might be interested in. It will likely take some time for feed back to start pouring in.

Offline sleek

« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2018, 04:52:05 pm »

Sleek, I started another thread you might be interested in. It will likely take some time for feed back to start pouring in.

I will look for it. Thanks.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Badger

« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2018, 05:21:21 pm »
      I think when it comes to primitive archery we all have a slightly different perspective on how we see it and what it means to us. A lot of that may have something to do with when we entered the sport and the folks we cut our teeth with. 20 years ago most of us were making a lot of mistakes. We knew there was a lot of room for improvement and everything we discovered or thought we had discovered was like finding a nugget of gold. Back in those days a relatively minor improvement in technique could make a dramatic change in performance.

The first Mojam stats taken were a good reflection of this and those of you who have never had a chance to review them I think you would find them interesting. Over the years I have witnessed a steady improvement in not only performance but many techniques that have been developed or perfected that have all added to this steady improvement.

Fast forward to today, I honestly don't think there is much room left for improvement. refining some technique that gives you a 2 fps boost is as valuable as what used to give us a 6 fps boost. My belief is that today's biggest challenge is simply to become a better bowyer refining the actual process of building and tillering out a bow. I believe we will see so many bows at a high level of performance that looking at trends will be more important than looking at individual bows. I feel like if we can get this broadhead flight shoot going at any of the primitive events that have enough room to sponsor one we will start developing these valuable trends. All the data from these events will be managed at one central location and blended together.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2018, 06:40:13 am »
Steve
You should just go ahead and never mind the nay sayers, it can evolve over time. 

As to Tim, if he doesn't like it then as they say...too bad so sad.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2018, 07:04:58 am »
It sounds like it's all coming together.  Keith will get this on the 'schedule board', probably as a morning and afternoon event, and we will have  a whiteboard on display showing the top shots in each category as the weekend progresses.  I'm with Ed... let the fun begin!    (SH)