Author Topic: Tip overlay question  (Read 2016 times)

Offline DC

Tip overlay question
« on: March 23, 2018, 01:17:00 pm »
When you use tip overlays how deep do you cut your nocks? How much overlay material do you leave between the bottom of the nock and the back of the bow. This dimension here

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Tip overlay question
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 01:42:34 pm »
Deep enough to safely hold your string and the amount of material left in the bottom is based on what is used. On horn I might have .06-.08" often, on wood it will be double. Horn is much more durable and flexible.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 01:53:27 pm »
You should angle your glueline so that this becomes a moot point.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 02:05:36 pm »
Deep enough to hold the string, with enough material left to hold the overlay and limb tip together.

It's going to vary slightly with materials, tip/nock style, and what Pat said.

Oh, and it's TECHNICALLY called an "Uberlager", not an overlay.  Don't know if anyone told you.   ::) ::) :P :P

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 02:13:38 pm »
Ive seen plenty of bows without em so if I’m adding one it’s purely for looks and to better hold the string. I do like my nocks small though. I used to do big ones and now do pretty thin and a smooth taper.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 02:24:31 pm »
These are just roughed in to hold the tillering string. By angle do you mean make the tip thinner so the overlay goes across the grain a bit?

I thought uberlager was what you drank at Octoberfest ;)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 02:30:29 pm »
Is that cherry, Don?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 03:14:05 pm »
These are just roughed in to hold the tillering string. By angle do you mean make the tip thinner so the overlay goes across the grain a bit?

Yes. Across the tip about half way or slightly more.

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 03:18:31 pm »
Is that cherry, Don?

The limb is Osage and the tip is fumed Ocean Spray.

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 03:19:26 pm »

Yes. Across the tip about half way or slightly more.
Thanks Pat, I thought that was what you meant.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 03:33:55 pm »
DC, it might be.  I couldn't figure out how to add Umlauts.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2018, 05:20:16 pm »
I do mine more like this.

Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2018, 05:31:27 pm »
I made one like that early on and it split right down the middle of the bow. I don't know if the glue on the back let go. I'd given the bow to someone and they said it was braced and leaning against a car and it just popped. Actually it's in the corner of shame, I'll take some pictures.............Here's the broken end and the surviving end. It looks like I put the nock too close to the end. I used thick CA. Anyway I never did another with that much slope, some slope but not that much.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2018, 06:11:26 pm »
I've done them with the grooves out past the end of the wood, with much steeper angles on some recurves, etc. The bond should be stronger than the material it's joining. If so, they are one, and stronger than any selfbow. I won't use superglue on them. I fully groove their gluing surfaces with a toothing plane and use Smooth On, cured with heat. Including bows over 70 lbs, ain't had a failure yet.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2018, 06:43:24 pm »
A lengthwise split like that has GOT to be an anomally, DC.    Never seen anything like that.