Author Topic: Dealing with interior rot in Pacific yew  (Read 1129 times)

Offline Taxus brevifolia

Dealing with interior rot in Pacific yew
« on: March 26, 2018, 09:04:57 am »
How much effort should one spend cleaning it up before setting aside to season? If I need to wire-wheel it and apply fungicide, so be it. But if splitting it open has altered the environment enough, maybe it's not a threat? Thank everyone for providing this wonderful resource! This is my first post. Looking forward to much worthwhile time spent here!

Offline DC

Re: Dealing with interior rot in Pacific yew
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 09:42:13 am »
I might scrape it out a bit to help it dry but other than that, nothing.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 10:37:45 am »
Split/cut it right down the rot line to make two staves. By the time you work it down to a "normal" limb thickness the rotten area will be long gone.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 12:05:06 pm »
It depends where you are to some extent. In the US you have bugs that do eat Yew regardless of what it says in the books... borers can't read!
IMO you should cut out absolutely ALL rot and have no expectation that even then the rest of the wood will be any good.
Sapwood with rot in it is worse than useless.
If in doubt, saw off the doubtful wood and get down to good clean heartwood, which can be used backed with hickory Maple Boo etc.
I've wasted time on wood that was doubtful, listen to that inner voice that's whispering "it's rotten" in your ear.
Del
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 12:49:03 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 12:25:14 pm »
I’ve seen this many times, looks like you have enough meat to make some
bows. I’d probably opt to hatchet away most of the rot before stashing it away

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 04:00:03 pm »
This is really common and it has never caused any issue. Just make sure it's not in the portion of wood you want to use. I've never removed it. Wouldn't hurt tho.
Maybe borers just aren't an issue where yew is native. I have staves that sat out in my shed for 10 years without a singal sign of a big or borer.
Eric

Offline Weylin

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 06:16:06 pm »
Sounds like you're getting some good advice. I'd probably do like Pearl Drums is saying if you want to be safe.

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 06:40:46 pm »
I get yew like that all the time. And like high desert I have staves that have been out in the shed for years. Never had a problem with bugs or the for continuing to rot. I live on a little island In B.C. though, and I don't know about where you live. Like goat said maybe hack some of the rot away, before putting them away. I find that darker wood beside the rot is really good stuff. Cheers- Brendan