Author Topic: Maple Cutting For Bow Staves  (Read 957 times)

Offline wooddamon1

Maple Cutting For Bow Staves
« on: April 06, 2018, 01:29:10 pm »
Hey guys, I'm Damon. I've read a lot on the site and others but I still have some questions.  Been shooting recurves and longbows for 20+ years and I'm getting the itch to make some self bows. I plan to make it to a rendezvous when possible and get some osage, but for now I have maple (sugar, i think) to get cut and drying.  How long should I cut the trees (poles, really, some about two hands around), I draw 27-28"?  I have Tite-Bond to seal the ends for now, is that okay? I've read where I should wait til it warms up to strip the bark easier also. I'm thinking about building a work bench over this weekend to keep me too busy to hack trees down since it's in the 30's in western MI :)

I probably should've asked this last night since I'm heading up to camp in a couple hours, bit I dozed off reading the Cooking Forum last night. I already love the site, you guys got skills! Thanks!

Offline Stick Bender

Re: Maple Cutting For Bow Staves
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 02:06:17 pm »
I dont know what part of the country you live in but winter cut maple is a bear to debark its much easer to debark summer cut & maple drys quickly when ruffed down into a bow ,maple is a great bow wood with the right design & makes great cores for lam bows to , if you could hold off tell the growing season your job would be easer !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 02:13:03 pm »
Another Michigander, cool. Wait at least another 4-6 weeks before you cut. That way the bark will peel right off by hand. I do it in the woods to make the haul out lighter. TB works great for end sealing. I would suggest you cut the poles 4-8" round and no less than 72" long. That being said, be sure its sugar maple and no other variety. If you wait for leaves to pop its very easy to tell them apart.

I HIGHLY suggest you attend the Marshall Primitive Gathering. You will get great prices on osage and all the talent Michigan has to offer in the self bowyery world in one place. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 02:36:23 pm »
Sorry I missed the part that you live Mi. and also welcome !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 03:03:30 pm »
Welcome Damon. Where about in West Michigan are you? I'm in Rockford. I have a ton of white ash staves that are peeled, dried and ready to work. I'd be happy to share a couple if you don't want to wait for your maple to dry.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline wooddamon1

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 03:04:57 pm »
Thanks guys! I'll wait til I see for sure what trees I have. Hopefully the right kind! PD, that's the plan if I can make it that weekend.

Offline wooddamon1

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 03:11:37 pm »
Hey Dave, I'm in Muskegon, used to go to Black Dog once in a while over there. Have permission on a farm I can hunt in Sparta. That's an awesome offer, not too far at all. I'll hit ya up sometime soon when I know I can make it over that way! Thanks!   (=)