Author Topic: Osage slight bendy tiller check please. Update. Tiller finished.  (Read 3731 times)

Offline Vgo750

Gentlement, if you would.  It’s 61” ttt. Bends through the handle some.  Came from a slightly naturally reflexes stave and is still holding some when unstrung.  Now, I’m trying to get this out to 29” and I’m at about 27 now. I’ve got a little wonk 2/3rds of the way up the top limb.  Anything you see I need to tweak before working it down the last couple inches?  It’s at 52lbs at 27 so far.  I’d sure like to stay about 52 - 55lbs or so at 29”. Thanks so much in advance.

Front:

Side:

Short brace:

@27
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 08:40:30 pm by Vgo750 »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Osage slight bendy tiller check please. Almost there.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 09:17:44 pm »
If the left limb is the bottom, I'd say it looks pretty good.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Vgo750

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 12:37:14 pm »
Left limb IS bottom!  Good to hear, thanks Pat.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 01:42:15 pm »
Looks great! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Yellarwoodfellar

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 02:32:49 pm »
Wow that's a gnarly stave. I'd say that's a victory. Man that's got more knots than the Andy Griffith show!

Offline Mark Russell

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 04:34:54 pm »
That's a good looking bow with some great character.  I like your hunting pack that's lying on the floor there too :D.  Seriously - nice job.

Offline NonBacked

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 05:23:43 pm »
You have done a really good job making that “walking stick” into a bow! Beautiful tiller too. Just based on the string angle on the right limb, you should be able to get at least another 1” of draw length without any additional tillering. You will probably lose some, or all, of the remaining natural reflex, but it will still be a shooter. I wouldn’t mess with too much – it looks too GOOD!
H

Offline Vgo750

Re: Osage slight bendy tiller check please. Update. Tiller finished.
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 09:05:19 pm »
Just thought I would give an update on this one.  I’ve taken it down to 28” and put about 50 arrows through it.  It shoots great.  Draws very smooth compared to some of my others to be honest. In my original post I said that the wonk was 2/3rds out in the TOP limb but I was upside down.  The wonk is in the bottom limb.  Sometimes when I look at the pics it looks a little stiff just in that spot but I chalk it up to the wonk itself.  It has take a slight bit of set in that wonk area but really not much elsewhere which is awesome!  (How many times did you think you could read the word “wonk” in one post  8) )
The bow shoots a 566 grain arrow 161 FPS at my 27sh inch draw.  My buddy that I’m giving this to will probably draw another inch to 28.  On the tree the bow pulls 56lbs at 28”.  I’m pretty happy with this one :)
I still need to twist up a new string, wrap on a grip and floppy rest, and poly the bow but I’ll take my time with that stuff and keep shooting it in in the mean time.  What do y’all think?! Thanks for the help!
Brace:

@28”:

Bow canted toward camera:

Immediately unstrung:

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 09:18:40 pm »
 Looks great to me!

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 09:21:20 pm »
Awesome, way to nice for Polly. Id use some shellac, Tung oil anything but Polly, but what ever makes you happy, it will still be a very nice bow.
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline Vgo750

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 09:33:07 pm »
What makes you say that?  Is it the shine on the poly? Do tung oil and shellac seal better or look better?

Offline Julian

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2018, 09:34:18 pm »
nice!

great work getting that bend from that stave.

Offline Julian

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2018, 09:35:49 pm »
Awesome, way to nice for Polly. Id use some shellac, Tung oil anything but Polly, but what ever makes you happy, it will still be a very nice bow.

poly is a very thick, kinda crude finish compared to some other options. depends on what kinda weather it needs to withstand but I just rub some beeswax / orange oil finish into my bows and call them done.

Offline Vgo750

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2018, 09:39:47 pm »
Well that’s good to know.  I’m in the Houston area so I’ve got crazy humidity that I need it to withstand.  Then again.  This bow is going to end up in Michigan, ha!  I’ll try some tung oil or beeswax  on this one then.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2018, 10:59:46 pm »
That's a done deal.Nice work.Congrarulations.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed