Author Topic: There's definitely a good bow in this  (Read 4379 times)

Offline PatM

Re: There's definitely a good bow in this
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2018, 08:32:08 pm »
Sure....??? Not making much sense there pat. I’m talking about the stave in the picture. Nobody said anything about heartwood bows or whatever. If you look at that stave it’s 2/3rds sapwood which is garbage when it comes to compression. Yeah he can take the sapwood down but then that all around less wood to work with. Being 1/3rd heartwood there is gonna be more that usual amount a string follow Bc the proportions are off.
Now, that being said, yeah it’ll make a bow. Now compared to a bow with the proper ratios and dimension they’re going to be entirely different shooting bows performance wise. Granted it’s a good stave to learn on.

If it where mine I would definitely decrown and try and make it as narrow as it would let me.

Even though I didn't make sense you figured it out perfectly in the end.  ;)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2018, 09:05:06 pm »
Sure....??? Not making much sense there pat. I’m talking about the stave in the picture. Nobody said anything about heartwood bows or whatever. If you look at that stave it’s 2/3rds sapwood which is garbage when it comes to compression. Yeah he can take the sapwood down but then that all around less wood to work with. Being 1/3rd heartwood there is gonna be more that usual amount a string follow Bc the proportions are off.
Now, that being said, yeah it’ll make a bow. Now compared to a bow with the proper ratios and dimension they’re going to be entirely different shooting bows performance wise. Granted it’s a good stave to learn on.

If it where mine I would definitely decrown and try and make it as narrow as it would let me.

Even though I didn't make sense you figured it out perfectly in the end.  ;)

Oh well good:) must be my Jedi powers maturing.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2018, 12:01:04 pm »
You only need a very little amount of heartwood to prevent string follow. Even sapwood showing up on the belly edges is no big deal. Although they are not as eye appealing as a bow with the "proper ratio", bows that are majority sapwood, come in very light in physical weight and take no set.
Eric

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2018, 09:00:38 pm »
You only need a very little amount of heartwood to prevent string follow. Even sapwood showing up on the belly edges is no big deal. Although they are not as eye appealing as a bow with the "proper ratio", bows that are majority sapwood, come in very light in physical weight and take no set.

Sorry bud, but that’s not true at all.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 09:20:45 pm by Bryce (Pinecone) »
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2018, 06:34:26 am »
I have made maybe a dozen yew bows, less than a few of you for certain. I have to agree. The less sapwood and more heartwood off the stump is no doubt better in the end. I just finished a 70" ELB'ish style bow. It started as a dead flat stave and now follows the string 1.5", too much for my numbers and too much for the time I took tillering. The ratio is about 1:1 on the finished bow. Great bow, but not as zippy as it should or could be.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2018, 10:02:42 am »
Not saying you guys are wrong, Maybe style makes a difference, but I just finished a flat bow, that nearly has sapwood showing through, 65lbs @ 27, and has taken no to very little set, and weighs 18oz. That has just been my experience with it. I haven't chrono'd it, so maybe the differnece will show up there.
Eric

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2018, 10:14:08 am »
Every yew stave is different, and all our experiences vary as well.
I’ve made 50-60 yew bows, and have made some sapling bows where there
was more sapwood than heartwood.  I save those staves for lightweight bows
and they always make good bows. The draw weight prevents set, so design your bow for the stave you have.  Without a doubt, yew heartwood is the true magic,

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2018, 05:52:21 am »
That one side has the denser/thinner sapwood, I thought I might try making that the back
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 11:16:07 pm by Taxus brevifolia »

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2018, 11:41:19 am »
The side with the tighter rings is 99% most likely the tension side of the stave. You’ll want that to be the back of your bow. Otherwise you’ll end up with a dog in comparison.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline DC

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2018, 01:31:54 pm »
And the sapwood it thinner there so you might not have to reduce it. Nice natural back. :D

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2018, 11:15:42 pm »
Back, yes I meant back. Sorry.  I thought I'd get the thinner/denser sapwood on the back, for doing what sapwood does, and then there's plenty of heartwood for the belly including the densest heartwood.  Or this was my thinking anyway.