Author Topic: Deflexing a Stave  (Read 6108 times)

Offline simk

Deflexing a Stave
« on: May 04, 2018, 01:05:07 am »
Another try...
--- the queen rules ----

Offline simk

Re: Deflexing a Stave
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 01:06:20 am »
more pics
--- the queen rules ----

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 08:52:15 am »
Neat idea. The square ends of the insert kinda bother me but it's all in compression I suppose. I wonder if a hand shocky bow would crack one of those butt joints. Just speculating though. Good job. :)

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 09:03:58 am »
  Better to do a  rounded scoop out of the area and then fill it with a crescent.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 09:09:25 am »
Wouldn't that have a tendency to pop out, like a pip squeezed between your fingers. I realise it's unlikely and probably wouldn't happen, just thinking out loud.

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 09:12:18 am »
  Not with proper gluing technique and the right glue.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 09:21:04 am »
Very cool idea!love it when people try new things!I have been thinking about something similar.cutting a small v in the handle,use some heat to almost close the gap ,add glue and mechanically make the bond.maybe a thin veener over the joint would add some sercurity.just my thoughts?my crappy drawing!lol!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 09:23:36 am »
I think I may try something like what Pat mentioned. I've got an Ocean Spray stave with too much reflex. I think a "V" would cause too much localised pressure/stretching. All the stretch would be concentrated right opposite the point of the "V". I'm thinking much like Simk but with rounded corners. I guess a cross between Pat's and Simk's. Something that would give a little length to the bending section.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 09:28:37 am by DC »

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 09:29:58 am »
I was thinking the same as PatM, but that's a cool idea and I'm sure it will still work that way. 

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 10:05:00 am »
That wont budge, it cant. Nice work.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sleek

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 12:04:27 pm »
That wont budge, it cant. Nice work.
Agreed, and I like the idea a lot. I wanna try something like that for reflexing.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2018, 12:56:55 pm »
Here's my try so far. I used a hole saw and then joined the holes. I might have gotten a little close to the back but it sure bent easily. I'll be testing this on my shooting machine a bunch before I shoot it. Now to try and fit a piece in the hole ??? ???

Offline simk

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2018, 02:18:37 pm »
DC, The hole saw! That's it! I was already thinking about how to do as PatM suggested, didn't know how to cut a nice circle. Thanks.
With the next one I will use a slightly bigger radius but  only cut one piece out, so that I can reglue the original piece. Why did you do 2 cuts? Anyway I wouldn't worry about a failure with your bow - you can hang a car on this piece of wood. My first was much worse so that I definitly had to fix it with fiberglass. Yours must be still ok.
bushboy: I did this, but its enormous stress for the wood if you do just a v - it's not bending nice unless you go too deep, at least for memyselfandI The challenge is, to get it done so nice, that you don't need a handle wrap. Mine also looks a bit odd because I also dry heated for the bend, which wasn't a good idea and gave stronger outlines.
Now I got an ugly tillering-job to do on this  :BB
Cheers

« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 02:22:24 pm by simk »
--- the queen rules ----

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2018, 02:28:51 pm »
If you use a single hole you will still be concentrating the stresses like the "V", not as much but still. With two holes you can see that I have the distance between red arrows to bend. I tend to over think things. I am having an awful time cutting the  patch though. I would suggest using a wood of contrasting colour to help hide the glue line. I'm using the same wood so my glue line will look kinda bad I think unless things pick up before I glue.

Offline simk

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2018, 02:52:49 pm »
with my magic wood one bigger hole will be good for that little bending  ;D - much better than that ridiculous v  8)
--- the queen rules ----