Author Topic: Viking Style Yew Longbow 55#@30"  (Read 8102 times)

Offline Weylin

Viking Style Yew Longbow 55#@30"
« on: May 06, 2018, 02:58:22 pm »
I made another bow based off the Hedeby bow. This is not an exact replica. The original bow was thought to be over 100# so I scaled it down to be more efficient at the lower draw weight of 55#. I made this bow about 67" long from nock to nock. One of the characteristic features of the Hedeby bow is the the flared, deflexed tips with side nocks. These create a bracing handle that makes stringing the bow much easier at higher draw weights. It was handy during the early tillering stage when the bow was still stiff. It shoots quite well with little hand shock. It's not the fastest bow in the world but it didn't suffer from the bulky tips as much as I thought it might. I would imagine at 100# the weight of the tips would be completely negligible. It is a simple design but a fun bow to make. 

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Viking Style Yew Longbow 55#@30"
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 03:14:12 pm »
  Great bend Weylin and interesting nock design...Fantastic pictures also...
                                                                                                                Don

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline FilipT

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 03:18:19 pm »
Hedeby bows look always cool although I find them a bit weird at the same time because of these tips. They surely must have had some practical application like you said, otherwise they wouldn't make sense. I see that you put side nocks. How do you make them, at what angle you cut them, how wide and deep are they?

Offline bushboy

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 04:35:33 pm »
Another beauty!those hooks throws my Google's off!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 05:59:20 pm »
Another nice bow Weylin.There's merits to ease of bracing and shooting.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 07:19:05 pm »
Interesting bow Weylin. It does get my curiosity going wondering about those tips.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 07:39:51 pm »
Very cool. I've got quite a bit of Nordic ancestry, so perhaps I'll give this design a try. Thanks for posting  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline stickbowbeard

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 03:27:08 pm »
Way cool bow.  Another beauty!

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 05:10:23 pm »
Looks pretty slick!
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 05:45:57 pm »
That's a unique one, tips look as if stringing them at heavier weights could be easier, maybe even safer. On a side note, better watch how you use up that precious yew supply. Once you're a full fledged Carolinian you wont have anything but crappy ol' osage from Clint to use.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Carl Galvin

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 09:01:46 pm »
Beautiful bow

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2018, 06:38:55 am »
Way cool looking bow! great job!
Northern Ute

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 08:40:44 am »
I love looking at the bend of those bows.  Especially when they are tillered so nicely!  Great job as usual

Offline Whiskeyjet

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2018, 02:54:15 pm »
Does it have a round belly, like the ELB? Should we stop giving the English credit for inventing that idea?

Beautiful work as always!

Offline Weylin

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2018, 08:19:01 pm »
Thank you, everyone for the kind words. It's cool to play around with designs that don't get a lot of attention.

Hedeby bows look always cool although I find them a bit weird at the same time because of these tips. They surely must have had some practical application like you said, otherwise they wouldn't make sense. I see that you put side nocks. How do you make them, at what angle you cut them, how wide and deep are they?
I heard the bracing handle idea from Will Sherman. It made sense to me. as for the side nocks, I basically made them like a self nock but only on one side. a little deeper than a normal groove. You put one on the right side and the other on the left and they pull against each other to maintain balance. I didn't think to hard about them. They are pretty simple and hassle free.

That's a unique one, tips look as if stringing them at heavier weights could be easier, maybe even safer. On a side note, better watch how you use up that precious yew supply. Once you're a full fledged Carolinian you wont have anything but crappy ol' osage from Clint to use.

I know! People keep asking for yew bows. I'm going to try and get out for one last haul on yew wood before I go. Then I'll have to settle for that osage garbage.

Does it have a round belly, like the ELB? Should we stop giving the English credit for inventing that idea?

Beautiful work as always!

The belly is rounded but the cross section is more like a squashed oval than a deep D. It's a wider and flatter than a typical English longbow.

Here's a picture of the original bow.