Author Topic: Hickory Stick  (Read 4533 times)

Offline S.C. hunter

• does a possum have enough brains to tan his hide ?
Hickory Stick
« on: May 30, 2018, 02:48:12 pm »
Hi Guys,
 62"ntn , 54lbs at 27". Beaver fur silencers. Cord wrapped handle, with leather strike plate. Then sealed in Helmsmans Satin Urethane. I had a lot of great advise, and tips from Don Burchett during this build. The bow would not have turned out nearly as good without it. I learned a lot...Thanks again Don.

Offline S.C. hunter

Re: Hickory Stick
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 02:51:01 pm »
More

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 03:12:12 pm »
Nice looking bow congrats !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 03:30:40 pm »
Steve,
          For some reason some of the pics were squished/distorted somehow, I took the liberty to repost some that I had...Hope that's ok...
          That is one fine Hickory Stick you have...All the profiles from unstrung to full draw tell the story of careful tillering on a piece of Hickory...Looks really balanced...Love the stain and the art work...I already know this one is a silent and fast shooter...
                                                                                                                                                                Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline S.C. hunter

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 03:45:39 pm »
Thank you Stick Bender.
  Thanks Don, I don't know why I have so much trouble with pictures. the ones you posted are lots better.

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 03:51:42 pm »
Nice bow.  Yeah the second round of pics shows off what looks like a very nice bend.  Great job.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 04:22:05 pm »
Yeah, and you're way taller than you looked in the first pic. Very nice bow by the way :D

Offline half eye

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 04:52:58 pm »
Most Excellent sir. Don knows how to make smooth, well balanced bows. I really like your bow, the bend speaks for itself but the balance is outstanding as well. Especially like how it shows your personality instead of a cookie cutter. Be careful cause that Don will get you up to all kinds of no good 8)
rich

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 05:02:25 pm »
Very nice work on that bow.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 05:09:41 pm »
Very nice hick stick......don't let anyone tell you the hickory is not good bow wood.
Again looks like a fine job....would love to shoot it that tells it all.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 05:31:25 pm »
I agree with DBar.I love my hickory here too.Nice work on your bow.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 07:18:04 am »
  Steve,
            I take no credit here buddy, that is all you...For a 62'' hickory stiff handle 54lbs@27 that is getting it done, period...The unstrung profile tells the whole story...I agree with DBar and BowEd, Hickory is good bow wood...
                                                                                                                                                  Don

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2018, 08:14:45 am »
All the profile pics look spot on.
Artwork is 1st rate.
Congrats!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 11:09:10 am »
Nice work! The art is real neat!  The other guys summed it up!  Hope my hickory piece turns out as well as yours!  Congratulations!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Greg DeJanes

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2018, 02:58:53 pm »
  The handle taking some of the working portion of the limb is off set by the even use of the rest of the limb. Less string follow occurs with such a tiller.  Good looking bow Sir.

Greg