Author Topic: Alone again.  (Read 107514 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Alone again.
« Reply #420 on: July 25, 2021, 08:57:33 am »
I've saved several newborn calves being born at the wrong time of year from hypothermia, never lost one.  The trick is to start with lukewarm water and slowly work it up to body temp.

It is as PaulN said though.  It's amazing I got to be this old from all the stupid things I did when I was young  (lol)
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #421 on: July 25, 2021, 10:20:34 am »
About 50 years ago I lived in an old farm house overlooking thousand of acres of bottom land. There had been a winding creek through the bottom land but the core of engineers came in and cut a new straight channel for miles, this was done so the land would drain and be usable for row crops. They left the old winding creek and its grown up banks for wildlife habitat, because the old creek didn't have hardly any water flow we called it the dead creek.

The ducks loved this old dead creek, I spent a lot of time jump shooting them. Some of the ones I shot fell over land, some fell out in the water, the water was up to 5' deep. I had an Irish setter that was a super retriever but wouldn't put a duck in his mouth so I would hit the creek and get my ducks no matter how cold it was. I often walked home with my clothes frozen solid.

Taking pity on me, one day my wife came home from work, dropped a lab puppy in my lap and said " you are going to kill yourself going after those ducks so here is the solution.

That puppy turned out to be one in million as far as labs go, she was so bright she took little training to do it all, blind retrieves, hand signals, marking multiple downed birds, she flushed rabbits, pointed quail and I am sure she understood English. She never failed on a retrieve even if the duck fell 1/2mile away, she had one speed which was peddle to the metal wide open.

Well the wife ran off with some married guy she met at work but I had the lab, I definitely got the better end of the deal.

Judy the wonder dog, she just spotted a flight of ducks in the distance, she always became every intense at this point. Funny thing; if I missed a couple of easy shots on a flight of ducks she would look up at me in the blind, make a face and whine as if to say, "you have to do better that that bozo".

« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 10:40:55 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #422 on: July 25, 2021, 10:29:43 am »
Sorry to get off track on the thread but the cold water thing brought back memories from my past.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #423 on: July 25, 2021, 10:53:47 am »
I do think labs are very smart dogs Eric. They not only have a good nose. They have good eyes too. You can show them something and they see it right away. They also have a soft mouth and naturally avoid tearing apart what they retrieve. At least the ones we have had.

I remember one we had. Murphy the stinky inky black dog. We really never hunted with her but I’m sure she would have picked it up quickly. She would catch birds and never bite them hard enough to kill them. I think They would’ve eventually drowned in droll.

One time we were working in the silo. It had been empty for a few months and we were getting the unloader ready to hoist to the top. Murphy realized she could get in the empty silo with us. Soon she was digging up rat holes and they were scurrying around. She caught one and in her natural soft mouth hold she was just going to play with it. Then it bit her right on her nose and wouldn’t let go. That turned on the light bulb. She hated rats after that. She took every opportunity to catch and dispatch them. We had big round bales and every time we would pick one up with the tractor she would be ready. She would catch one and shake it violently. Then throw it as high in the air as she could. When it hit the ground she was ready to finish it off. If it didn’t move she immediately went after another.

Dang good dog and really friendly to. Really miss her.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Yooper Bowyer

• formerly Tradcraftsman
« Reply #424 on: July 25, 2021, 04:00:32 pm »
It would be interesting if the contestants could bring along dogs.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #425 on: July 25, 2021, 04:29:16 pm »
It would be interesting if the contestants could bring along dogs.

That would be a very interesting twist on the game.

Certainly would help with security and many other jobs. Of course it’d be another mouth to feed. Hopefully it could help feed the both of them.

I believe I read somewhere that the natives used them to carry stuff. Actually kinda drag it hang from two poles harnessed and dragging like skids.

Not sure how factual that is.

I think I read that they first named horses after dogs and used them like they did with dogs. Or maybe I’m just remembering something else. Who knows. Almost want to say it might have been “Centennial”.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #426 on: July 26, 2021, 02:14:35 pm »
BJ, many of the native peoples used dogs for transport, I think the women came up with the idea, so they wouldn't have crry so much.  I read somewhere that the horse was called an "elk dog" by the first groups that saw them.  Btw, what channel and when is the program on?
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #427 on: July 26, 2021, 04:35:12 pm »
Alone is on the discovery channel. 9:30 my time. Gets to be past my bedtime so I always record it. Saves a lot of time skipping through 4 minutes of commercials every four minutes.

Bjrogg

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #428 on: July 27, 2021, 06:36:43 am »
there are full episodes on historychannel.com but they are free only for specific regions
you have to check if you're allowed to see them

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #429 on: August 13, 2021, 09:30:08 am »
Things are looking better and better for Clay, I thought Colter would surge ahead with his gill nets but it things didn't work out for him and they pulled him for medical reasons. I suspect they will pull Biko as well in the next and last episode, he has lost 75# and not eaten much of anything for a long time. I predict his cold feet will take him out. Theresa has the best mental attitude but is starving at a fast rate as well so she could be pulled, no telling.

Possible blood trail for Clay in the last episode?  Could be small game or perhaps something bigger.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #430 on: August 13, 2021, 10:37:34 pm »
I really thought Colter was going to have more luck fishing than he did. I’m guessing he did to.

Biko has been fighting the mental fight pretty good but also hasn’t had much luck fishing. Pretty sure he wouldn’t have made it this far without the extra weight he carried on day one.

Theresa really has the right attitude a good shelter but not much to eat. I really thought they were going to pull her instead of Colter. I really enjoy her narrative and just something about her accent.

Seems like Clay has pretty good odds. I’d be surprised if someone else outlasted him. I’ve been surprised before though. Love the float plane he whittled for his son. Very nice.

My hats off to the final four. Pretty sure I couldn’t have lasted that long there. Even with the extra weight I carry.

Still seems like a silly site. Bears everywhere they can’t hunt. Not allowed to take squirrels. Not allowed to fish with live bait. I get the feeling they really don’t want this to go on for very long. Probably think we would get bored watching people actually living off the land.

Still enjoy watching. Nice not to have all the drama

Bjrogg

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #431 on: August 14, 2021, 09:39:42 am »
I suspect the chopped off the show before they pulled everyone they are going to pull. Just like the clift hanger serials in the old movies where Buck Rodgers is facing imminent doom at the end of a segment but you have to come back next week to see if he will survive.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #432 on: August 14, 2021, 09:50:45 am »
The lady bow-hunter didn't last that long.  Big difference between hunting big game for your pleasure and doing it for survival.

Biko's net is a bit on the small side, no wonder he's not catching anything

My wife and I have been watching the Danish Alone.  It is hilarious, and a bit sad.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline StickMark

« Reply #433 on: August 14, 2021, 10:24:24 pm »
Looking forward to Theresa's video debrief of the season. Why? Because she is surviving on plants, almost exclusively, and I am curious how much calories she will estimate she ate. She said 1500 k/c one time, and that should be right around her basal metabolic rate.

In other parts of the internet kingdom, some say that this "going in big" like Biko, with the extra fat, is a maybe not in the spirit of the show. Perhaps capping the  BMI might make the show more even. Females that put on 80 pounds might have a real hard time later in life dealing with fat-memory. What athletic person wants to do that? Weight gain, loss and then regain, is hard on the heart, as Colter now knows.

Still amazed at how few actually hunt. The aerial shots of Theresa's place shows similar edge type terrain like Clay's area. She has one of those fancy European primitive bows, Mollegebat?, but she is not shown as really using it. Like Colter said, people get myopic. She gets to making some meat and Clay is in a race.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #434 on: August 15, 2021, 06:09:12 pm »
Yep looking good for Clay right now , but who knows what might happen, guess we will find out Thursday I think this is the last or next to the last show.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good