Author Topic: epoxy question  (Read 6206 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Re: epoxy question
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2018, 03:15:48 am »
You can also use a simple clamp system I did this bamboo backed bow with metal 1/8 pressure strips with a sandwich of rubber strips and clamps , I hot box cure at 135 f deg for 5 hrs and unclamp in the morning all though hot boxing is not necessary it gives you a stronger bond for not much extra work according to smooth ons recommendation , there are other ways including the fire hose method ! I like the clamp method because it gives you very even pressure across the limb with no voids !
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 03:25:26 am by Stick Bender »
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2018, 04:18:01 am »
I use c-clamps as well.

And yes, mix Smooth On, or any two part glue, really, really well, at room temperature. Some folks quit mixing too soon. You can warm it a little if it's a bit thick, but warming it too much can accelerate the cure. After clamping, I usually drop the entire press into my hot box that I made for glass bows. Its thermostat is set at 185 degrees. It cures faster and supposedly creates a stronger bond. But I've allowed it to cure at room temperature without an issue, so, who knows.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2018, 10:40:06 am »
Haven't used the Smooth on epoxy, but did order mold making studs direct from their website.  Got good service and also the location of their nearest outlet(60 miles away in Denver). Very satisfied with the molds. Will get EA40 when I need epoxy
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2018, 03:28:44 pm »
You won't be disappointed... if you do your part.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline willie

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2018, 03:45:23 pm »
some hardwoods have high tangential shrinkage that may exceed the capability of a less flexible glue, so if you expect very high moisture cycling and the tangential shrinkage direction is glued to a lesser shrinkage surface that cannot move with it, say end grain, then a creepier, softer glue is recomended.

the usual care we take with our bows in regards to moisture probally negates this. I use the higher strength slower cure stuff.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2018, 06:12:54 pm »
Willie, you gotta speak English man! lol Only teasing. But seriously, what is tangential shrinkage?
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline PatM

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2018, 06:52:35 pm »
Willie, you gotta speak English man! lol Only teasing. But seriously, what is tangential shrinkage?

Shrinkage across the width of a piece of wood.   Wood does not usually shrink equally in all dimensions as it dries.