Author Topic: Video of limb failure. . . confirmation of tiller error please?  (Read 4167 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Video of limb failure. . . confirmation of tiller error please?
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2018, 07:14:41 am »
Here is an updated explanation of the tillering gizmo, read all the comments I added as I left a lot out of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqvwUqn-EFQ

Offline Rākau

• Aotearoa-the land of the long white cloud
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2018, 03:06:14 pm »
oh Nice I have had Akeake in mind for a while, it is supposed to be very strong, high silica content I think. after going through a book on NZ timbers I managed to come up with a few potentials based on their use by maori and just general characteristics:
Tanekaha
Mangeao
Akeake
Kowhai
Black Maire
Tawa
Rata (both northern and southern)
and of course Kanuka

so good to see that there are a couple of cross overs! the other problem is that a few of those trees are protected I thing. . . haha but we can at least keep our eyes open!

Thanks Eric! after one look at the gizmo it made alot of sense! just like the credit card trick. . . but better!

Offline Shamusrobert

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2018, 04:44:03 pm »
Gidday NZnuka,
Keep at it bro its differently a game where you learn by your mistakes.
Kanuka is good bow wood. But i believe its strength's lie in its ability to handle compression. It is one of our better native woods and is readily available.
Other native woods that i have tried that are good enough in tension to make a bow are generally not very good in compression.
When i lived down the coast i made a few bows out of southern rata, That stuff is tuff as but i did have a couple get compression frets around the pin knots but that was more down to my poor tillering. :o
Northern rata is funny stuff, lighter and weaker than you think it should be.
Lancewood is another that seems elastic in compression but can be a bit weak under tension especially with that rope like ridges on the surface,
I have made quite a few kids bows out of that have worked quite well but not a decent adult size bow as I'm yet to find a good stave that isnt full of twist, i think it would be a good candidate for sinew backed bow.
I have made one sapling bow out of akeake, that stuff is as tuff as nails. I would love to get my hands on a decent stave of it.
Kowhai is a bit disappointing, its very good under tension but average under compression. its seems to want to soak up moister and take alot of set
you  want a stave with a naturally reflex and heat treat it, may be good for sapling bows.
I have made a couple of bows using black maire as a belly wood and it is very good for that, I would like to make a self bow from it but it doesn't grow in my neck of the woods.
The one small bow i made out of Tawa seemed pretty good, i think it wants to be treated like ash or maple and made a bit wider and longer.
Tanekaha is a soft wood that is very good in tension but pretty poor under compression or though i have made a couple of bows from it that have worked one was a sapling bow the other was a sinew backed Californian type bow.
Almost all of our hard woods are diffuse porous so there is not a need to chase a ring.
We also have a lot of northern hemisphere woods here. One that is fairly abundant in my area is black locust, Its makes a nice bow and is a good teacher. You have to chase a ring but if you ever get hold of an Osage stave then you ll know what to do. :)
These are just my own experiences so far others may have different ones.
Hope this helps.

Offline Rākau

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2018, 01:59:41 pm »
Thanks Shamus, That's all awesome information bro!
so you think Kanuka would benefit from maybe a narrower design to take advantage of its compression strength, or maybe traping the belly, or even combining with a strong backing material like silk?? maybe kowhai backed kanuka? what shapes have worked well for you?
haha I just have so much access to 50-60 yr old kanuka with plenty of nice strait trunks that it would make sense to utilise it.

Haha also, where do you source your arrow shafts from bro?

Offline Shamusrobert

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2018, 02:08:14 am »
Cheers NZNuka, hopefully i didnt waffle on to much. ;D
Im not much of an arrow maker and generally get my stuff of the net.
I have heard and seen matai, tawa and beech used for arrow shafts.
I have used japanesse arrow bamboo which is around. Once you no what it looks like.
I have mostly made flat bows out of Kanuka but i think it can handle most designs as long as its not to stressed.
There is a guy up north having success making war bows for it.
The more people that use it the more we can learn about it. :)

Offline Rākau

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2018, 02:54:48 am »
haha not at all mate, I could talk about this stuff for hours!
any chance you could chuck up some photos of your Kanuka bows if you still have them? I've seen your one from a few years back with the knot hole in the upper limb, that was a beauty! but that is probably the only NZ native self bow I've been able to find.