Author Topic: belt sanders  (Read 5214 times)

Offline stickbowbeard

Re: belt sanders
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2018, 06:22:55 am »
I actually just have a cheap, $30 Ryobi portable belt sander that I clamp in my vise and use it like a bench sander.  Like Eric Krewson said, I try and limit how much I use it and work mostly with my draw knife/hand tools, but I have used it to thin bamboo backing, and last year when I was in a hurry to finish up a kids bow for a nephew before we left on vacation, I used it to completely tiller the bow, and it came out with a very nice tiller.  I've also used it to make knives and for other steel grinding as well.  Eventually I will get a nicer sander, but this is filling my needs for now.

Offline Mounter

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2018, 10:07:18 am »
I have that ridgid sander and a 4 x 36 belt disk combo.. the rigid see,s more use because of the spindle attachments, but the disk is nice for other things. I,d choose the rigid if I could have only one, but I,be built mostly FG bows so take that for what it’s worth,

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2018, 10:25:29 am »
I have never put the spindles on mine because I have another spindle sander but would bet it work ok but for some body that wants a 2 in 1 machine it would save $$ too !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2018, 07:48:46 pm »
Well, now I've got plenty to consider over the summer cause I'm not allowed to buy one until the paychecks start coming in again when school's back in session.

Thanks everyone.  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2018, 02:27:39 pm »
While your pondering tell school starts, look at this one it does vertical , horizontal , or any angle in between plus contouring on the end like a spindle sander gets great reviews ! Defently works for any bow FG or self bow !
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 03:57:29 pm by Stick Bender »

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2018, 11:15:27 am »
ooooooo, aaaaaaaah Stick that looks like a nice one!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2018, 02:54:37 pm »
😃😃😃 you made me laugh yes its a awsome machine I like it better then the Grizzly and cheaper then there oscilating version !