Author Topic: Cracks in Yew. What say you?  (Read 1431 times)

Offline NorthHeart

Cracks in Yew. What say you?
« on: July 20, 2018, 10:13:44 pm »
I did some heat treatment to straighten the stave and got some cracks in the limb in a few areas of the belly.  Limbs are 1.5" wide, no floor tillering yet, just the stave worked down to rough dimensions.  I sanded the cracks in the belly down until the limb was a tad under 1/2" thick.  Now im wondering if these will be a problem as they still havent disappeared.  They dont go all the way through to the back but they are deeper than i had hoped.  I sanded them so you could make them out in the pics.  They are wide enough to catch your fingernail just barely.  To those of you with a lot of Yew experience what are your thoughts, will these be a problem?

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: Cracks in Yew. What say you?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 04:32:46 am »
You need to ask yourself where the crack will go if it keeps on growing.  Cracks that will run off the edge of a bow can lead to failure, cracks that grow along the bow are not a problem, call them character and stabilise them with runny superglue.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 04:55:13 am »
+1 call 'em drying checks and character. Not really and issue.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 11:08:02 am »
Thanks guys.  Ill use some thin CA glue and proceed with the build.

When you have a crack so tiny the glue doesn't want to go into the crevice, do yall just leave it be...or open it up with a razor so that the glue will enter?

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 11:22:25 am »
Thin CA will go into cracks you can't see. When you're filling these watch how far past the "end" of the crack the glue goes.

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 12:47:25 pm »
No problem at all, the yew recurve I posted a few days ago is full of cracks on the belly, some about 4 inches long. Filled them with ca and they did not grow

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 11:32:21 pm »
Awesome guys!