Author Topic: How much will sinew take before it blows regardless?  (Read 1121 times)

Offline Ryan Jacob

How much will sinew take before it blows regardless?
« on: July 21, 2018, 06:12:44 am »
So I have a tamarind that I’m flattening the back on. I was planning to bamboo back it but my boo spalted (at best), turned pink and powdery. So, this bow has some violated knots (a lot of.not very severes on one side and a big one on the other side). I finished floor tillering 1 limb and it didn’t make any sounds (this is the side with the big one). I’m not brave or dumb enough to push it further. Think 2-3 layers of sinew will hold it together? The heavily interlocking might be helping me right now.

Short version:
Violated knots, 50 inches long (bendy handle, only need a 21 inch draw but would like more if possible), interlocking grain, 2-3 layers of sinew = not explosion?

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: How much will sinew take before it blows regardless?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 07:06:55 am »
My first bow blew with 2 or 3 layers of sinew, that is a testament to how badly it was tillered.

I went from initial stringing to full draw immediately, no floor tillering. Impatience got the best of me but I slowed down on my next one nad made a working recurve that is still in one piece 20 years later.

As long as your tiller is good you should be OK.

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 08:17:42 am »
Well thats good to hear, is wrapping it a necessity while it dries?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 09:51:08 am »
As long as the sinew is laying well you shouldn't have to wrap it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 02:26:44 pm »
If you want an even, gap free sinew back you can put saran wrap over the sinew and wrap the bow tightly. You can leave it like that for a couple of days and then take the wrap off so the sinew will dry out.

I did one like that then sanded the sinew very smooth after it cured. The bow looked like a FG backed bow.