Author Topic: Just heard the pop. . .  (Read 1719 times)

Offline jeffp51

Just heard the pop. . .
« on: July 21, 2018, 03:14:59 pm »
The beautiful yew stave Penderbender gave me for Christmas a couple trades back just developed a hinge, and before I could  get it evened out, I heard the pop, and found the splinter.  The stave is done for. (--).  I keep telling myself it is just a stick of wood, but it doesn't help much when you have so much anticipation and effort into trying to get a good bow out of it.  Sad.  I have been feeling like I needed a win lately, and I had hoped this would be it.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Just heard the pop. . .
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 03:33:33 pm »
Can you add rawhide? Or, is that splinter more of a break?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 03:44:40 pm »
How about a pic? There is a good chance there is a fix.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 04:49:17 pm »
I will get a pic up soon, and I have some rawhide, but I don't think it will be enough.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 05:33:10 pm »
what do you think?  the hinge is still there too

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 05:58:45 pm »
I don't like the look of that :(. But if you really,really want to save it you can try gluing a thin sliver of yew to the belly. Make it about a foot long and center it in the hinge. When it's cured rough it to shape and wrap the splinter down with silk(or similar) thread and soak with CA. Then continue tillering. With any luck and depending on how far you had to go you may remove the splinter as you tiller.
That said that splinter looks pretty deep.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 06:01:32 pm »
I wouldn't hesitate to wrap it with a narrow band of sinew or silk thread and add rawhide. Do it on both limbs, make look like you meant to :)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 06:46:27 pm »
I'd glue and clamp the splinter however if there are other problems it might not be worth it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bushboy

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 06:55:40 pm »
Looks like the back to me?flatten it out and add a backing.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline RandyN

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2018, 11:12:26 am »
I have a similar situation going on with a maple sapling bow. I filled the crack with superglue. Now I am going to bridge the crack with sinew and then do a sinew wrap over the bridge. When it works, I will add a wrap on the other limb to make it look intentional.
Seems like a lot of work but this is the way I learn if it will work or not.
Good luck.

Offline RandyN

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2018, 04:17:20 pm »
Here is the repair to the maple sapling in my last post. Needs to dry for a few days and then we will see if it works.