Author Topic: Hickory-backed Red Cedar R/D longbow, 66.5", 41@28.  (Read 5350 times)

Offline silent sniper

Hickory-backed Red Cedar R/D longbow, 66.5", 41@28.
« on: July 24, 2018, 10:52:54 am »
Hello everyone,
Here is my latest creation, a hickory backed red cedar longbow with a mild r/d profile. 66.5” NTN, 41@28”, symmetrical design, 1-5/16” wide at the fades with a 12” taper to Ό” tips
I have been wanting to build a backed red cedar bow after seeing first hand several that had been built by Marc St louis. They were very light in the hand and an absolute joy to shoot.

I could not find a cedar board with a long enough section of straight grain, so I ripped a 36” board in half and used a tapered finger splice to connect the two pieces together. The splice location allowed for a beautiful mix of heartwood/sapwood through the handle and top limb.  I then added the 1/8” thick hickory backing and glued in ½” of reflex and ½” of deflex.  The handle section was then glued on with a mix of white oak, jatoba, and hickory strips.

I glued up this blank back in January, but decided not to continue because I was fearful that the 35% humidity was too low for red cedar. Hearing stories of them exploding at full draw did not help my confidence…. 

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago when I saw the stave sitting on the rack and decided it was time to finish it

Cedar is wonderfully easy to work and the smell is delightful. I did find that it is very touchy to adjustments in tiller.  This bow was a bit difficult to tiller. It required re-tillering twice while shooting it in because the limbs started to fret at the fades from being too narrow/stressed.  I reduced the overall draw weight and got the mid limbs working more to combat the fretting. I believe I have it fixed now but only time will tell.

I usually tiller all my 3 under bows to have an even tiller. On this bow I ended up with a 1/4” weaker top limb which showed the best full draw profile. Both limbs hold just under 1” of string follow with an additional Ό” of set directly after shooting.

The bow was finished with 3 coats of Shellac and 3 coated of water based spar. I then used some 0000-steel wool to cut down the shine. A glued on brown leather grip and shelf rest with beaver tail side plate finished the bow.

The bow shoots 10 gpp arrows at 163 fps with a 27.5” draw. It is lightweight and snappy and is a pleasure to shoot. The bow turned out exactly how I had hoped it would except for the minor tillering issues.

I really like the backed cedar bow design. It makes for such a lightweight and sweet shooting longbow. I will make my next cedar bow 1-1/2” wide at the fades and taper the belly before glue up.  These should result in a bow with less set and better performance.

Enjoy SS

[url=https://flic.kr/p/MiktL9]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/26Ferob]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/MikvHq]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/Mikv37]

« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 11:33:57 am by silent sniper »

Offline bushboy

Re: Hickory-backed Red Cedar R/D longbow, 66.5", 41@28.
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 11:21:31 am »
That turned out very nice!brace and full draw looks spot on!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 12:01:46 pm »
Very nice! The sheep eating grin tells it all ;D

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 01:13:33 pm »
Yeah I like the tiller on this one.  Very nice work!

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 01:37:58 pm »
Very nice bow! That smile is what it is all about!

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 02:16:26 pm »
Great work, looks good on all profiles.
But can't help, I'm no friend of those cut in shelves. And I see no need for it, the handle can be narrowed without any problem.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 03:37:28 pm »
Sharp lookin bow dude! )P(
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline M2A

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 06:43:46 pm »
Nice bow! I do like the subtle curves in the unbraced photos. Tiller looks great to me. Mike

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 07:37:49 pm »
Very nice bow SS. Love it when makes you feel like that. :)
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 07:57:51 pm »
Great looking bow! Love red cedar but every one I’ve made has exploded. Will be trying another one soon. Nice work!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline silent sniper

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2018, 10:39:11 am »
Thanks everyone for the nice comments!

Simson, I agree with you that the cut in shelf is not the most attractive feature on an all wood bow. I have always made my bows with this design because I shoot it very well. At some point I will try a new sleek handle design that has a more primitive/traditional look.

Thanks,
SS

Offline simson

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2018, 01:34:27 pm »
I'm sure you will like it more ...
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2018, 06:50:22 am »
Another very well made bow.  I'm sure it shoots quite well
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com