Author Topic: New member and first bow build  (Read 4941 times)

Offline EOT

New member and first bow build
« on: July 26, 2018, 05:09:57 pm »
I've used this forum searching for tips and advice a lot during this build. So I figured I'd join, say hey, and share a couple pics of what I ended up with. The tree that this is from I intended to use to make a shelf with to put on a smoker I recently built but I ended up using an old slab of walnut for that instead. Problem was that I had already cut the tree to do that so I ended up with shorter pieces to make a bow out of.

This particular piece wasn't very straight so I was just going to using it for practice in chasing the ring. I ended up getting it shootable though. It had about 6" of reflex, and had quite a bit of curve going of to the side. I lost track of many times I steamed and bent it trying to get it straight enough to make a bow out of. I attempted to put some deflex in it as well. I wish I had taken more pictures and notes along the way.

It's in no way perfect so if anyone sees something that could've been done different or better I'm all ears. I need to get more pics of it braced and unbraced. I was having issues with uploading pics though. The bottom limb is pretty straight now but the top limb still has some reflex towards the tip. It still has some twist in both limbs but the bottom is worse in that department. I did all the tiller work with a piece of paracord.

It's 58" NTN, ~1 1/2" at the widest point of the limb, stiff handled, and pretty heavy. I'm not sure of the weight at the moment. I'll have to get a scale.

Offline Jakesnyder

Re: New member and first bow build
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 05:41:13 pm »
Looks good. Your top limb has a little too much bend about a third of the way up from your handle. I would scrape a little from half way out to close to the nock then fix the bottom limb as needed. The bottom limb looks tillered great though.
That's just my 2 cents.

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 05:42:22 pm »
The more I look at it though it might just be the angle

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 05:59:03 pm »
You have a great start for your first bow....it looks like osage?
Your full draw pic looks like the outer 2/3 of the limbs are a little stiff with the bottom limb being the stiffest and best profile.  you want the only the last 8-9" of the tips stiff.  I would like to see an unbraced, braced and front profile pic for more help on the tiller.  I can say you did a very good job getting the crown top dead center of the bow based on the belly rings at your fades.  also it looks like a thin ringed stave.
Like I said good start on your first.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bushboy

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 06:15:01 pm »
Awesome first attempt!hard to really comment on the tiller without a unbraced pic.that said if you can make your top look like the bottom your in business!don't let that reflexed limb fool you because generally they are weaker than a deflex limb.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline EOT

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 06:16:53 pm »
Yeah I forgot to say what wood it is. It is osage. I also forgot to mention it's currently braced at about 5".  I'm not totally happy with the top limb. I was thinking it looks like it bends pretty well in the first third, flattens out towards the end of the first third into the middle, and then gets a little stiff. I'm not a very good judge of that though so I really appreciate all your feedback. I will probably take more off it to try and get it better. I'm also probably going to reshape the grip a little as I'm not totally happy with it.

Here's a some more pics.

Offline EOT

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 06:25:05 pm »
And here's another full draw pic. It looks a little different than the first one. I should also mention that I'm only pulling it back about 25" because of how heavy it feels.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 06:33:28 pm »
EOT,
You have done a good job on you first bow based on those profiles.  First I would make a caul and make both limbs (with dry heat) side profile the same (adding some reflex)  as is you can see the top limb is working much more than the bottom limb. Once the limbs look the same in the side view I would thin the last 1/3 of each limb in width (side to side).  Then look at the tiller.  Thinning the last 1/3 (side to side) might make the tips bend a little more, and reflexing the bottom limb will make it stiffer.

I know I have laid a lot of info on you, but take your time and you will do well.  I can tell you have the nack for it.
Not that it matters much on you first, but what poundage are you shooting for? and what is your draw length?
DBar

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 06:51:56 pm »
EOT,
You have done a good job on you first bow based on those profiles.  First I would make a caul and make both limbs (with dry heat) side profile the same (adding some reflex)  as is you can see the top limb is working much more than the bottom limb. Once the limbs look the same in the side view I would thin the last 1/3 of each limb in width (side to side).  Then look at the tiller.  Thinning the last 1/3 (side to side) might make the tips bend a little more, and reflexing the bottom limb will make it stiffer.

I know I have laid a lot of info on you, but take your time and you will do well.  I can tell you have the nack for it.
Not that it matters much on you first, but what poundage are you shooting for? and what is your draw length?
DBar
+1.That narrowing on the outer third of each limb will bring those limbs around nice without losing too much poundage.Heck of a nice first bow though as it is.Congrats.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline EOT

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 06:57:56 pm »
I'm assuming a caul would be like a form? I can certainly give it shot. I did put a couple coats of tru oil on it since I thought it might have to sit a couple weeks while I work on building some furniture for our unborn child(due in January!) I've been banned from steaming it with my wife's stock pot so I guess I can borrow a heat gun from my work.

The whole deal has been quite an experience but I do enjoy it even though I've had to walk away frustrated quite a bit. I had no goal for poundage on this one. Just wanted something shootable honestly. The way it's turned out though I'm hoping it'll be heavy enough to fling 600-700 grain arrows at deer. The only other bow that I've shot is my compound and it's a 28" draw. I was shooting for 27" on this one.

Thanks to all for the opinions and kind words!

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 07:06:21 pm »
When you stick and eat a deer...... even a big doe doesn't have to be a buck, with a rig you built yourself, there is no feeling in the world like that.  I hope you have the opportunity. Your have a good start.

DBar

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 07:48:27 pm »
Great lookin' first!  :OK
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2018, 08:04:15 pm »
I'm assuming a caul would be like a form? I can certainly give it shot. I did put a couple coats of tru oil on it since I thought it might have to sit a couple weeks while I work on building some furniture for our unborn child(due in January!) I've been banned from steaming it with my wife's stock pot so I guess I can borrow a heat gun from my work.

Yes a caul is a form.... and I can understand about the Misses. if it is your first bow, shoot the heck out of it and enjoy it.  Start another and learn from the first.
Main thing is have fun doing it don't stress out.  It relieves my stress.
DBar 

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2018, 06:35:22 am »
      Danzn Bar has you on the right track...Good call Bill...I like the fact that you have them fades moving, a lot of first bows don't have this...A touch on the outers and it will be money...
                                                                                              Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2018, 06:53:23 am »
Considering the unbraced profile the full draw is showing a pretty darn good tiller
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com