Author Topic: Wildlife adventures right in my house.  (Read 3204 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Wildlife adventures right in my house.
« on: August 11, 2018, 02:47:14 pm »
A couple nights ago my lovely wife suddenly became extremely excited and started screaming for me. Usually not a good thing. I have seen this reaction from her before. This is the third time in the 26 years I've been living here that a bat accidentally found its way into the house. Now I'd prefer to catch and release them but my wife just wants them out immediately and I've found a window screen works really well. I tried not to hit it to hard but it doesn't take much to kill them and he didn't survive.

This morning my beautiful wife once again became extremely excited. I've seen this reaction to. For the fourth time in my 26 years living here a garter snake was in the house. Three of them I've managed to successfully catch and release. One wasn't as lucky. I wasn't home and my wife chopped it up with the garden hoe. They really are beautiful. I showed my grandson a picture and he said I was holding a rainbow.lol I'd say he's right. Here's one I relocated last year.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Chippintuff

Re: Wildlife adventures right in my house.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 02:55:55 pm »
About twenty years ago my wife called me while I was at work and told me there was a huge snake in the chicken house. We had monster rattle snakes there, so I told her to get a gun and shoot it, but she has never been willing to touch a gun. She told me it looked like it might not leave. When I got home I found a huge chicken snake with a broken back. She had approached a hen nest to check it for eggs and met this snake as it was coming out. The poor snake was no match for that eight lb. sledge hammer.

WA

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 03:13:53 pm »
Had to do away with this one the other day...next time I’ll split him down the side, wasn’t thinking about saving the belly.  Next time.
1’—>1’

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 03:57:16 pm »
Nice pics.Seems some years are just that way.There just trying to make a living that's all.Robin told me of one just this morning she saw from under a round bale while feeding her pony.She's got a crazy cousin she stays in touch with in the Lousianna/Texas/Arkansas corner of the states who loves reptiles and especially snakes.It seems to have rubbed off on her too.She got a nice little box turtle from him the other day.She'll have pets of turtles/snakes/and even tarantulas around here.
She will let me know if she sees a big snake though....lol.
One thing I've noticed seeing them from under wood piles and bales of hay etc. is the high concentration of crickets in there I think their feeding on.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 04:17:31 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 11:22:39 pm »
I'm kinda like Robins strange cousin Ed. When I was single I had a pet bull snake and a tarantula. I really enjoyed the tarantula. It really was beautiful. Now I just have my daughter's chihuahua. She's a pretty sweet little dog though and much more affectionate than either the snake or tarantula.
Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 11:28:01 pm »
Yup chip the eight pound sledgehammer is going to be the winner.

Nice snake Steve what kind is it. Please tell me it was in your house . My wife doesn't believe that everyone has snakes in their house from time to time. Actually I really don't know anyone else who's had them in their house.
Bjrogg

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 11:38:19 pm »
Don't care much for spiders and snakes, never have!  Came real close to getting bit by a rattlesnake when I was a kid!  But I did get "kissed" by a hummingbird once on a camping/lodge pole gathering trip in the higher part of the county.  Carry snake charmer loads in my .44 or .41 during the hot months, we have a number of them on the ranch where our black powder range is.  Haven't seen or heard or any on the archery range yet.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline JEB

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 05:28:05 am »
Me and snakes don't get along much as I have a phobia about them.I do my best to avoid them. I even have a hard time using the skins for cresting my arrows.  FYI: great article in the new PA magazine Brian.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 06:07:15 am »
Jerry I'm not say I wouldn't have a uncomfortable feeling with ones that could bite me and do great harm to me. I probably would. The garters we caught as kids and at first detection were as they slither away they do make my natural instinct kick in. They are beneficial predators though so I respect their beauty and their role. My mom actually thought us they were good snakes.
  I once got in our old escavtor and a hummingbird was inside. The door was open and it could have flown right out but it was hovering right at the top of the cab which had a four inch lip all the way around. It was frantically trying to find a way out. I took my hand and put it over top it as it hovered and I could make it lower it altitude. I got it low enough and directed it towards the door and away it flew. That was pretty cool.

Jeb I saw a very interesting show once. They showed how our brain detected snakes and seemed to give us a natural instinct to avoid them. It was kinda like those old subliminal advertisements at the movies where they slipped one frame of a picture of popcorn in and everyone went and got popcorn. This one they slipped one frame of a snake and observed the reaction. It wasn't going up to buy popcorn but it was emediate and even present in small children that hadn't encountered snakes. I found that quite interesting.
Glad you liked the article. It's not your normal hunting story but I'm still learning and it is hunting.
Bjrogg

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 11:07:09 am »
I have no problem with snakes unless one startles me. In that case I can't be responsible for what happens.  :o  I only kill poisonous snakes if they are near our house. These are mostly copperheads and every dog we've oned in the last 40 years have been bitten, some hot bites, some not...and never during office hours of our vet. Closes emergency vet is over an hour away and by the time we could get there, if the bite were deadly it would be too late. Our vet told us to give the dog Benedryl, watch the dog closely and bring it in the next morning for antibiotic shot. None have dies, all have gotten sick for a few days but all have come through without permanent damage. Our 2 1/2 year old, Maggie, warned me about a copperhead in the yard 2 weeks ago and as far as I know she's never seen one.
 When we lived in Bluffton, SC on the southern coast, we were remodeling our kitchen. I came home from work and my wife said their was a surprise for me under the bucket in the kitchen; a 3' copperhead. A few weeks later I found 4 very small copperheads in the hall going to our bedroom. I dispatched them and never told my wife or daughter about them.
 We've lived in rural areas for our 40 years together so we are both used to encounters with wildlife, friendly or threatening and dealt with the situations accordingly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2018, 01:02:39 pm »
Thanks Pat, now I can honestly say that other people have snakes in their houses to. I'm sure that'll put my wife at ease. I told her to make sure she told me if she found another one in there.lol She really didn't think that was funny but she's better now.
Bjrogg

Offline Zuma

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2018, 01:43:18 pm »
Way much better than having a nest of copperheads :o ::)
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2018, 04:22:15 pm »
Way much better than having a nest of copperheads :o ::)
Zuma

That's exactly what I'm going to tell her Zuma. That's gotta make her feel better.
Bjrogg  ;)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2018, 07:54:23 pm »
Like Pat B my coon hunting friends I went with in central Arkansas were more worried about what they did to our dogs more so than themselves.It can matter where the dog gets bit.Up by the face and throat is a lot more dangerous because of the swelling that occurs.The dog can strangulate from it.Like Pat said a dry bite can happen too.While crossing shoal creeks in the mountains following dogs we killed quite a few cottonmouths just tossing a rock on them as they got too close.You have to be aware where your hands go while climbing steep banks.In june the musky scent of them could be smelt from the truck down in the bottoms where the creeks ran.The same is said for my coon hunting friends in Alabama I hunted with.Thready a friend of mine there swore of a cure by taking a small bottle of kerosene with him to put on the bite.
Henry another coon hunter friend in Dixon ,Missouri[central Missouri] got rid of his wood piles by the house for firewood because of the copperheads in them while his grandkids were visiting playing in the yard also.Awful painful scary experience for a little kid.
Luckily up north the frequency of poisonous snakes is'nt much but to me it's just something to deal with if living down south and would'nt change any amount of time in the woods for me.Just gotta be aware that's all.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2018, 06:30:30 am »
Our three cats had a 4 to 4 1/2 foot timber rattler pointed, in the driveway, as we drove in from church last night.
A H & R single barrel 20 gauge took care of it.  This is the 5th or 6th, large rattler, that we have found" In The Yard" in 26 years.
Two of them were 6' long and as big around as a quart canning jar. 

I think our yard might be on a rattler trail.  If there is such a thing???
I also think that it is possible that far more rattler cross through that we ever see.

Makes a man want to mow the grass or something. :o

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama