Author Topic: Removing Hickory Bark  (Read 2320 times)

Offline Billbob

Removing Hickory Bark
« on: September 24, 2018, 03:03:27 pm »
Got away from building self bows the last couple of years, but decided to start back into it this winter.  Had a nice hickory on the farm and decided to cut it down over the weekend thinking the bark would still peel off nice and easy.  I was wrong.  It's on the stave tighter than my pants fit after Thanksgiving dinner.   :(  I split a couple 6' long logs into 2 1/2-3" staves.  Is there an easier way to get this bark off besides using a draw knife and carefully scraping the bark off?  Thought about soaking it the creek behind my house, but I don't know if that will help or not.  Thanks!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Removing Hickory Bark
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 04:40:15 pm »
You might be able to soak the staves but I've never done it so I can't say. The cambium has become this years growth ring and it's gonna be hard to remove I think. You can take the bark off with a draw knife but leave the cambium and gingerly scrape that off later after it dries.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 04:47:30 pm »
That was funny, Billbob. Been there; done that. LOL...

Anyway, get your draw knife and get as close as possible.

Then get your scraper or use your draw knife as a scraper.

I've done it that way.

But...but...you have to go slowly. :)

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 06:15:07 pm »
I think it was BJ who posted some excellent results using a powerwasher hooked up to hot water for removing winter-cut bark and cambium. I tried it my self once using just cold water and it worked incredibly well.

Otherwise, my best results came from a method that PatM suggested, which was to get the bark off without violating the cambium, then use a spoon to work it off as best you can. Hickory has small ridges on the outer surface of the wood that are difficult not to knick.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 06:15:17 pm »
Like the humor too Billbob.You got a little work to do.Good advice from Pat And George though.I'd take it.Next time cut that hickory in early spring just as the sap begins to flow.Late March or early april depending where you live just when the leaves start appearing.It'll pop off easily then.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 10:06:47 pm »
I inherited a shagbark hickory stave at MoJam from Mo-Coon-Catcher(Kyle) - I think it was a character check!  It actually only took about 2 hours to get the bark off with the drawknife, and a 40 grit disc on the ros.  That's when I found the worm tracks and bore hole!  I plan on trying to rough out a bow form and sealing it up to season a bit more, not necessarily in that order!  Did use the bark as kindling for a cooking fire, nice smoke flavor!  Get the bark off asap!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Billbob

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 07:01:41 am »
I think I'll let the bark on the staves to protect the back, store them in my barn and just remove the bark from the stave I'm going to use next.  I'll just take the worst off with a draw knife and then use a scrapper to get the rest off.  Next time I'll just wait until spring.  :)
Thanks for all the help.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 07:40:24 am »
Be sure to protect the staves in the barn from insects or you'll have Swiss cheese instead of bow wood. Insects lay their eggs in the bark and they hatch and start boring.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Billbob

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 08:30:11 am »
I'll have to do that.  Didn't think about bugs getting in the bark.