Author Topic: Horrible last 48 hours...why did I ever stop drinking?  (Read 2615 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Horrible last 48 hours...why did I ever stop drinking?
« on: September 26, 2018, 11:05:38 pm »
I have a little break so just wanted to vent a little.  The last 24 hours have been a real trial.

Last night my wife's 17 year old cat took a turn for the worse and we made the decision to put him down.  So this morning I called the vet and made the appointment. 

In the meantime,  we've been getting chilly so this morning I wanted to try the solar heater for when the weather turns.  The douchy previous owner left a valve open.  I'm about at the end of my patience threshold with the half @$$ work he did on the place and this is almost thr straw to break the camels back. After the thing heated up it leaked a bunch of antifreeze out of the closet the pump is housed in.  Anrifreeze spilled down in to the return air for the gas furnace, and I haven't even had time to figure out if that will present a health hazard. 

Before we could figure out what exactly was happening the dog was licking up antifreeze.  I thank heavens that I knew what this system is, how it operates, and that the method of heat exchange is antifreeze so that we were able to take immediate action.

Took dog to the vet straight away.  Induced vomiting within 15 mins of consumption and then filled him up with charcoal about 30 mins after consumption.  Now he has to have an IV of alcohol administered every 4 to 6 hours to keeo him drunk.  It prevents any antifreeze that may have crossed in to his blood from metabolizing in to the crystals that destroy the kidneys.

The vet took care of the day shift and sent us home with an IV machine and supplies to do the night shif.  I'm so exhausted.  Wrestling a drunk unhappy dog all night is beating the heck out of me.  Pretty much a constant wrestling match from about 6:30 till 10:30 to keep him from hurting himself or pulling out his IV catheter.   Even tried hog tying him at one point but i was worried about getting the wraps too tight and cutting off circulation so he was able to escape.  Finally got him calmed down and sleeping but have to wake him up in an hour and stsrt the wrestling match all over again.  Two more IV doses tonight then I can take him back to the vet so they'll do the day shift again.  They want to continue  through tomorrow night.  Poor guy is not enjoying booze nearly as much as I did back in the day.

Edit:  had our little funeral service for the cat, burried him next to the big old apricot tree.  I grew up on a ranch, I can deal with the loss of animals, but hearing the gut wrenching sorrow from my daughter was a tough burden.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 03:52:45 pm by dieselcheese »
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Horrible last 24 hours...why did I ever stop drinking?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 03:35:25 am »
Sorry for all your troubles, life is full of them. Hope things get better for you and your family as I am sure they will.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 05:08:08 am »
I know there huge problems and believe me I don't mean to belittle them. I'm just hoping to give you a bit of something to be happy about. The rest of your family is safe and healthy. Be thankful for that. The rest is just the trials we all have to endure. It's not so bad. It might not seem like it but it'll be over soon and there will be another trial to endure. Good Luck. Hope your dog knows how much your doing for him.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 06:27:31 am »
  Hang in there, the storm will clear...My Daddy always told me "Son, time takes care of everything"
                                                                                                                                                  Don

P.S. I haven't stopped drinking, but I should probably...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 07:44:18 am »
Thanks guys.   Boy that was a long night.   Holding up a drunk dog to pee is alot harder than a holding up a human buddy to do the same.  Poor guy sang thr songs many if us have at one point or another and I swear he was doing the drunkards prayer half the night.  It goes something like "...and I'm sorry fot that one time...and please don't  let me die...tell my mom I love her...." but in doggy moans and howls.

I squeezed in a couple hours of sleep and doing a little better with everything.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 09:17:00 am »
Wow! Just Wow!

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 09:47:30 am »
I dropped the dog back at the vet's.  The whole time I'm holding him by his collar in thr cab of my truck because he's too drunk and belligerent, and stinks like cheep booze.  Well as I'm driving down the road,  semi-constraining the dog with one hand, I'm thinking what if I get pulled over?  The officer says "sir I detect the presence of alcohol"

And me "its not me officer, it's the dog"

Gave me quite a chuckle thjnking about it
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Zuma

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 10:32:15 am »
Good to hear the storm may be clearing. Chin -up )P(
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2018, 10:59:41 am »
I'd rather be hunting!  Hope the dog gets better, sounds like he will! That sounds like a day that would drive a teetotaler to soberity!!  Things will clear up, and another kitten will help, too!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 11:07:30 am »
Things just got a little worse...just got a call that my wife's one and only uncle passed away this a.m.  He had a few health issues but looked to be on the mend, so this was unexpected.

What a week this is turning in to.  I'm supposed to be the tough one but wow this is like a ton of bricks piled on top of an already heavy load.

I really appreciate the support you guys have given.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Horrible last 48 hours...why did I ever stop drinking?
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2018, 10:21:27 pm »
That is a bummer week!  But tomorrow is Friday!  We will raise a glass for her uncle!  Btw, a toast is proper with any beverage, or even an empty glass, if necessary! 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 09:13:21 am »
Prayers up for you and yours. remember him with laughter.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2018, 08:14:31 pm »
Sorry about all the tough stuff falling on you all at once.  Don't feel bad about venting to us, we can handle that. We'd rather hear from you than hear about you, as someone once told me.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JEB

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2018, 06:11:58 am »
You have had a tough go for sure. BUT it is always worse for others. Spend a morning in a cancer infusion unit and you will see you have no troubles compared  to many others. My headaches don't ache anymore.

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2018, 08:50:58 am »
Did you get your dog sobered up?