Author Topic: I suck at this part  (Read 2718 times)

Offline DC

I suck at this part
« on: October 14, 2018, 02:52:45 pm »
I making this Vine Maple bow. Boring old white wood. I thought I would try staining it. I thought maybe a greenish look. I put on a coat of wood preservative and it turned brilliant green. Too much. I thought maybe brown would tone it down. I have no colour sense. The brown helped a bit but there are still bright green spots. I tried to take some pictures but they are so-so in showing what I've got. What would you artistic guys do with this?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: I suck at this part
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 03:22:48 pm »
Hand rub it with finely ground charcoal and oil or water.The charcoal gets in the grain and gives it a nice, subtle coloration.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 03:48:49 pm »
Try using green leather dye. I have good results with it. But, also with vine maple it's important to get all of the cambium off, which is hard.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 04:12:59 pm »
Stain it jet black with leather dye.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 04:19:38 pm »
 The charcoal sounds like a plan. I wonder if powdered graphite would work?

I would have to order green leather dye. can you thin out the dye so it isn't so overpowering?

Jet black would cover all the sins but I can always do that. I'll save that one for last. :)

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 05:09:52 pm »
Get some green aniline dye from Lee Valley in Forest Green.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 06:43:19 pm »
The thing about the leather dye is you can keep wiping it down while it's wet with a rag till you get the look you want.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 07:03:47 pm »
I tried the graphite and it darkened it some but the green still showed. My wife said that red countered green so I tried some cherry stain. That turned it bright reddish pink so I grabbed a rag with lacquer thinner on it and started wiping it off. It would remove it while the lacquer thinner was fresh but after a few wipes it wouldn't change colour any more. Fresh LT and it got lighter. Much like what you say about the leather dye, Mullet :) Got to the point where I just couldn't get rid of some of the red so I wiped on some Black Walnut Watco Oil. Not quite jet black but it will do. It's your basic brown bow now but I think I learned a thing or two. It still needs a few coats of tung oil so that will brighten it up some. I'm just making up my Christmas Lee Valley list so I will put some Forest green on it.
Thanks guys

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 08:03:07 am »
I know this won’t help at this point, but when I use dyes, all make a swatch on the same wood until I find The color I want. I used a combo of 4 WD Lockwood dyes, using a dropper, I recorded the drops of each dye into a small container. I finally found the green I wanted after trying over 50 combinations.
Eric

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 09:15:37 am »
Do you thin the dye and use multiple coats? Whenever I use dye I seem to have dark areas where I start and then it lightens up as I move the rag around.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2018, 11:44:50 am »
I usually put on a heavy dose on with a foam brush. This is for water based, haven’t used alcohol boded other than leather dye, but I don’t wipe down as it thins it too much. I do use several coats sometimes
Eric

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2018, 12:41:18 pm »
You must like your colours way darker than me. I've got some brown leather dye that I thinned out something like 3-1 and it still goes on too dark for my liking.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2018, 03:18:10 pm »
The leather dyes are a bit different, I thin those out quite a bit with denatured alcohol, you can also wipe them down with a rag that has DNA on it. Unless I want dark, I don’t use leather dyes on wood. The water based dyes work really well.
Eric

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 11:34:44 am »
what about using walnut hulls or vinegar/steel wool stain?
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2018, 11:47:31 am »
Walnut hulls could be tough to find here, there are no walnut trees :). Vinegar/steel wool may be a plan for next times.