Author Topic: AGHHHHHHHHGH!!!!!!  (Read 6097 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: AGHHHHHHHHGH!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2018, 03:30:36 pm »
I can see working a green stave down to floor tiller but very little stress is put on a stave just getting to floor tiller. I've never heard of anyone working a green stave any farther than that.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2018, 04:17:46 pm »
Well, if you check out the guys who make 'em out of juniper and incense cedar, you'll hear about a whole bunch of people who work them green.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2018, 04:28:27 pm »
Two things that cause excess set it too much moisture and over stressing a stave. Working a green stave does both.
 Why do the folks that work with juniper and incense cedar only work it green? What is the reasoning behind it?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Morgan

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2018, 04:37:39 pm »
I would think that working a stave to a finished or near finished state while green is a bad idea regardless of species or who makes a practice of it. The only reasoning I can think of is that there is a dependency on sinew to overcome set, and it may, but it would be a better bow without the set in the beginning.

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2018, 11:27:28 pm »
Yes, I understand, it's counterintuitive, knowing what we know about yew and osage.

But juniper dries pretty fast. Depending on humidity, 3-4 weeks after staving out the log, it's quite dry. Not like yew at all.

Here's a youtube link to vid from a guy who works with a lot of juniper.
https://youtu.be/K_NyArp2rDE

Jump to 3:40, he talks about working it green.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2018, 06:38:18 am »
A tillering gizmo tells you where to remove wood to get your limbs bending correctly. With a gizmo you won't make any 20# bows when you want a 50# bow because your wood removal is much more precise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqvwUqn-EFQ&t=1

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2018, 08:13:12 am »
Thanks Eric!!! I'm definitely checking that out

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2018, 08:47:26 am »
Eric you're a genius, thank you. I have more hope now

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2018, 08:49:35 am »
What is the R/H where you are and what was the M/C of your stave as you worked it?

Offline DC

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2018, 11:00:58 am »
Yes, I understand, it's counterintuitive, knowing what we know about yew and osage.

But juniper dries pretty fast. Depending on humidity, 3-4 weeks after staving out the log, it's quite dry. Not like yew at all.

Here's a youtube link to vid from a guy who works with a lot of juniper.
https://youtu.be/K_NyArp2rDE

Jump to 3:40, he talks about working it green.
Great set of videos. Love your shop Chuck, I would be right at home there :D :D

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2018, 04:31:16 pm »
What is the R/H where you are and what was the M/C of your stave as you worked it?

RH 16% today. That's not unusual.

M/C...hmm moisture content? I've got no idea. I never weighed it to start. But like I said, its light as a feather now, and it ain't gettin' no drier.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2018, 06:14:41 pm »
ok,,,I may have missed some post, I admit I skimmed over it,, but,,, I think putting sinew on it would be a good idea,, it will give you practice at that skill, and it will add weight to the bow,, making the bow twice your draw would be a good start,, it may not be enough to hunt with but it will give you a good idea how sinew works,, just think of it as a learning experience and dont be so hard on yourself,,,you will get the hang of it as you go,, )W(

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2018, 10:27:58 am »
Thanks Brad! I'm back up on that horse.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2018, 11:18:56 am »
You dont leave your wood lay on the bare ground like that all the time do you? hate to see good wood go to waste.

Offline Taxus brevifolia

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2018, 11:20:52 am »
It's not on the ground. It's on wood above the ground, and it's covered with a tarp most of the time, and that whole thing is under a canopy.