Author Topic: biggest bass I ever caught  (Read 3765 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

biggest bass I ever caught
« on: October 16, 2018, 07:48:59 pm »
I'm sure some of you guys have caught bigger, but for me, this sucker was a shocker!  :o
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: biggest bass I ever caught
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 08:05:19 pm »
Nice fish. How much did he/she weigh? Looks like some good eating. I never caught one over 4# or so but I tried for a long time.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Morgan

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 08:06:38 pm »
Fine fish brother!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 08:53:27 pm »
That's a whopper!
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 10:38:58 pm »
Nice catch!  I caught a 5# lg mouth down in Fla, biggest one I ever caught, went to get a stringer, some other folks were throwing an 8#er back because it was too small!  Burst my bubble!  (lol)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Adam

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 10:41:42 pm »
That's a great one, congratulations! I'll be it out up a good fight. What did you catch it on?

Offline Zuma

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 06:21:39 am »
That's a beauty for a northern large mouth.
Biggest I caught in NJ was a 6lb 8oz.
 )F( )F( -C- Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 06:34:43 am »
That's a nice fish for the north. Ours don't grow 8-9 months out of the year, maybe 3-4 months rather. She is probably at least 8-10 yeas old.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 08:03:24 am »
Good catch Jeff.They're fun for sure.I catch em like that in my pond but usually put them back to keep my bluegill population down of little bluegills.Never weighed them either.Then I eat the bluegills.A bass like that I don't think is all that great to eat really compared to these bluegills here.More than likely that's a big old female you got there.
Stocking a pond here I seen those bass grow from april to october 14 to 16 inches in that time period.Then they start growing in girth a bunch too.If I can stick my fist into his mouth I figure he's at least 4 lbs. for sure.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 08:20:20 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline JEB

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 09:20:12 am »
Very nice fish. Large mouth or small mouth?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 10:53:06 am »
Jon that is a largemouth.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 03:02:17 pm »
Nice fish!

Hawkdancer, don't feel bad. It's nothing to catch 15- 18 pounders down here where I live in Polk County Florida in the Spring. Most get released by locals. Google Lake Toho or Kissimmee chain of lakes.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 07:34:32 pm »
Ed, would she have had eggs in her? She definitely was sportin the girth!

I wish I knew how much she weighed. I don't have a scale for fish, gotta get one. But maybe I could have gotten my fist in her mouth. I've got big hands though.  :-[

Pearly, I figure we've got pretty similar climates. That's cool to know about how old she is. Caught and released her in a beautiful glacial pond so I know she's been living the good life!

Adam, I caught her on a live bass minnow. I've been using them to fish for pike, but I catch way more bass with them.

Mullet, not a day goes by that part of me doesn't just wanna just pick up and move down to your neck of the woods, just for the fishing!  )F( Must be awesome )P(

"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2018, 06:15:53 am »
No eggs in here now, just a gut full of fall forage. They really put the feed sacks on in fall. They know they have 6 months of snow and ice ahead of them.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2018, 06:39:04 am »
Jeff...Yep Chris is right.Spring time is the time to spawn.The reason I say fist in the mouth is because sometimes I need room to remove small bluegill type hook by hand very cautiously so I don't hurt them to release them.I don't carry special hook removers when I fish.
They're fun to catch for sure.To me they are an aggressive striking ambush type fish latching onto my bluegills when I reel them in too.
I solved that problem by using a cane pole to catch bluegills then just lifting the bluegill straight up right out of the water.
Your fish looks nice and healthy.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed