Author Topic: Thrift store bow  (Read 4600 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Thrift store bow
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2018, 10:45:38 am »
Thar 20 is probably 20#.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Leadweight

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2018, 05:55:46 pm »
Alright, so I got it nice and cleaned up. Put a coat of boiled linseed oil on it, made a new leather grip and added a arrow rest, as well as glued everything back together. It also shoots well and it does seem about 20# draw weight.

Offline willie

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2018, 02:39:07 pm »
cool find Leadweight.
one thing I you might want to consider doing before it gets shot too much, is to evaluate the tiller. sometimes wood bows need adjustments.

if you were to post a pic of the braced bow, taken from a vantage point that is level with the bow, and straight-on square with the bow, it would be a nice addition to this thread. ( hang it on a nail on a wall with a plain background?)

I am not saying anything needs to be done, but it is hard to tell what the bend looks like from your pic of it leaning up against the door.
If it is indeed a kids bow, drawing it further than it was intended to be drawn, could be detrimental,  (if it need adjustment )

Offline Leadweight

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2018, 05:33:29 pm »
How's this?

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2018, 05:19:47 am »
I took one of those old lemonwood bows and glued a bamboo back on it. Turned out a fine shooter. A very thin boo back would easily get you to a hunting weight stick. Probably in the 45-50# range.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2018, 08:57:36 am »
That bow was made with the lower limb shorter than the upper, as was standard practice in that time. SO, the tiller looks good--the lower limb is bending more than the upper, which makes the  tips draw and travel  evenly with each other.

I say again, I would NOT draw that bow to 28". The 20# weight and the 61" length both strongly suggest a youth bow, which would normally be drawn only 25 or 26 inches.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline burtonridr

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2018, 07:01:13 pm »
Cool find!

And nice work restoring it  :OK
Offgrid mtn living