Author Topic: Red Oak 1x3  (Read 6670 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Re: Red Oak 1x3
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2018, 03:45:22 pm »
I rip cut the board down to 2" wide last night and glued and clamped the riser block. I'll probably shape the handle and cut the taper into the limbs either tomorrow evening or Sunday morning. So should I go true pyramid pr semi-pyramid? Keeping in mind that 2" width has already been cut.

User preference, imo.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2018, 04:23:09 pm »
Correction due to "senior moment" re my preferred handle thickness.   :-\
1.25 to 1.5" . . . not 1".    O:)
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bubby

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2018, 09:57:55 pm »
Red oak board, 2" at the fades, I think I posted the specs a while back. Pyramid design is a great one for a board bow. I have a build a long in the how to section
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bubby

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2018, 09:58:37 pm »
Wrong pic I'll fix that

Offline bubby

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2018, 10:00:41 pm »

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2018, 12:30:54 pm »
I went with the true pyramid. Will be doing some handle shaping and edge radiusing today, then onto tiller. The other 2 staves in the pic are black cherry, both roughed out from the same log today.
"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2018, 11:23:00 am »
Good. Have fun. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2018, 07:53:16 pm »
Been sick for a few days which has slowed my progress, but I got back into the shop for a while this evening. Finished up the handle and the tip overlays. Tomorrow's goal is to do some sanding on the limbs, cut in the nocks and get it on the tillering rig.

"The best camouflage pattern is called, 'Sit down and be quiet!' Your grandpa hunted deer in a red plaid coat, think about that for a second." - Fred Bear

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2018, 06:37:22 pm »
Linen backing applied, tomorrow I tiller.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2018, 06:54:57 pm »
I allow at least 48 hours in the house for moisture introduced by backing process to move out of the limbs.
Good luck!

Offline bubby

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2018, 09:45:36 pm »
I find it's better to tiller first, then do the handle shaping

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2018, 09:51:46 am »
Linen on one limb sanded

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2018, 05:09:33 pm »
Makin' shavin's! I had it braced, but it was a little uneven (top limb stiff) so I didnt want to leave it that way long enough for a pic. More to come after dinner. One question I should have thought to ask before hand. Is 8" brace height about right? Bow is 70" over all, 68" ntn, using an AMO 68" string.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2018, 05:29:16 pm »
Eight inches, assuming you are measuring from string to deepest part of grip, is pretty high for a self bow even when it is closer to finished.  For now I would do less, maybe a lot less if you have a ways to go on weight/tiller.

Offline IrishJay

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2018, 05:33:22 pm »
That's to the belly of the limbs right at the fades, I had a brain fart and didnt even think to measure to the handle.