Author Topic: Deflexing a Stave  (Read 6169 times)

Offline backtowood B2W

Re: Deflexing a Stave
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2018, 02:53:11 am »
Nice experiment !
To get a good fit, why not steam the handle and the plug and then squeeze together?
nice idea simk!

Offline dratera

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2018, 06:56:30 am »
DC, I have never tried this but to get a nice fit maybe take some kind of moldable hard clay, shove it in the gap, take it out and saw it to a thin slat, then put the slat on your plug wood and paint an outline

Offline DC

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2018, 08:32:04 am »
Nice experiment !
To get a good fit, why not steam the handle and the plug and then squeeze together?
nice idea simk!
I believe steam makes wood flexible across the grain but not along the grain so I don't think it would help the fit at the ends of the plug.

Offline DC

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2018, 08:38:35 am »
DC, I have never tried this but to get a nice fit maybe take some kind of moldable hard clay, shove it in the gap, take it out and saw it to a thin slat, then put the slat on your plug wood and paint an outline
You can really do the same thing just by tracing the gap on your plug wood. I think the problem I was having was just slight differences in the curves (maybe misalignment of the holesaw holes)  that makes one side of the plug a different shape than the other. Getting a plug that will "fit" is not hard, getting a good glue line all around is a PITA.