Author Topic: #11- Bamboo/Black Locust American Semi Longbow  (Read 7087 times)

Offline silent sniper

#11- Bamboo/Black Locust American Semi Longbow
« on: December 30, 2018, 08:21:28 pm »
Hello everyone, I wanted to show off my latest build. The goal of this build was to replicate a bow similar to the early all natural bows built by Howard Hill. This style would also be known as an American semi longbow (ASL). This was also my first attempt at trying to “pre-tiller” the bow with the use of multiple tapered laminations

This bow is made out of 4 tapered black locust laminations along with a tapered bamboo backing. Each black locust lamination was individually heat treated on both sides before gluing everything together. The bow was glued up in a straight form using a marine grade epoxy. After sitting for a day, I took the bow off the form and glued on 10 laminations of black cherry for the handle. I used multiple laminations for the handle to increase the strength in hopes that it would not pop off.

My goal for the project was to tiller the bow without sanding through the belly lam.  All tillering was done by trapping the back of the bow, reducing the width, and rounding the sides of the belly. It was not until the very end that I lightly sanded on the belly to get the final tiller touched up.

The bow was glued up with a straight profile and ended up with just over an inch of string follow when finished. It is 67” NTN and draws 50# @ 27”. 

The bow follows the dimensions of typical hill/ ASL bows. The bow is 1” wide at the fades with a 2” deep by 1” wide handle. The riser length is 12” with a handle section of 4”. One difference is that this bow has tip overlays that a hill bow typically would not. I used small osage overlays that are blended into the bamboo so they are not noticeable after staining the bamboo.

When shot over the chrony, the bow shoots 10 gpp at a very consistent 166 fps. This is right in the range of what I expected it to do. The string follow design makes the bow a very mild and pleasant shooter.

The bow was finished off with a reddish brown stain on the bamboo before coating the entire bow with 3 coats of shellac. It was then sealed with 4 coats of water based exterior grade spar varnish. A leather grip was glued on and a piece of leather added to the arrow shelf.

This bow was an experiment that turned out much better then I had expected it would. I am quite pleased with it and hope my next attempts at this style turn out even better.

Enjoy SS.

Braced and Unbraced

« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 04:44:33 am by silent sniper »

Offline silent sniper

« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 08:35:31 pm by silent sniper »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: #11- Bamboo/Black Locust American Semi Longbow
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 09:20:14 pm »
Very nice laminated long bow and the tiller looks real good to me.. Very nice.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 10:04:32 pm »
Beautiful bend, almost looks Photoshopped. Very nicely done.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 03:32:23 am »
Beautiful bow! Love the looks of it. Real nice bend too. I bet this one will get used a lot.

Kyle

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 06:11:27 am »
Very nicely done.  Beautiful work.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 08:46:31 am »
That is a beauty. Tiller near perfect. I was a little worried that the compression sensitivity on BL might not be a good long term match for Boo. Be interesting to see how it does over the long haul. Great job on it though. Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 09:05:08 am »
Good looking bow.  Well tillered.  I've backed BL with Bamboo before and it can be a good combination
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline ohma2

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 09:10:03 am »
Good lookin bend on that

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2018, 09:24:01 am »
Great job on that one SS. Those must be some thin lams of BL. What tools did you use to make them?
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2018, 10:01:33 am »
Great bend,  and well photographed too.   :OK

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2018, 01:07:43 pm »
Wow! I love everything about that bow!!,,,except ,,,you signed "Elliot" my name is Jeff lol love it!! Good job JeffW

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2018, 04:56:35 pm »
Nice bow.  I really like the finish/details.  I haven't been brave enough to do the pre-tapering thing, but seeing it done now I might have to try.

Offline simk

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2019, 09:35:24 am »
I'm sure Howard Hill would be enthusiastic shooting that bow! Hopefully one day I'll be able to put so much work and patience into a bow! Happy New year!
--- the queen rules ----

Offline silent sniper

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2019, 10:21:23 am »
Thanks everyone for the nice comments, I really appreciate it.

Upstate, the laminations were cut with a band saw and tapered on a thickness sander using a taper sled.

SS