Author Topic: Self bow question  (Read 3528 times)

Offline bassman

Self bow question
« on: January 01, 2019, 01:24:31 pm »
Has any of you built edge grained bows, if so could you please post a picture?

Thanks so Much-Bob

Offline DC

Re: Self bow question
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 01:39:32 pm »
I made this one but it's maple backed so it might not be what you're looking for.
https://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,63436.msg891294.html#msg891294

Offline bassman

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 01:55:20 pm »
Those are some really nice bows. Thanks for the pics.

Offline bassman

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 02:10:08 pm »
No, thats what I was looking for. I just finished an edge grain Black Locust bow, but it has horizontal knots on the back. I have shot it about 20 times, and it did not let go, but it will. I was thinking about flipping it over and bamboo backing it. The other side only has knots at the fades. Should I just try and back it the way it is?

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 02:18:42 pm »
I think I would put the worst side against the backing. The backing would take all the tension so you might as well use the best wood for the belly. You should wait for better advice about what backing to use for Black Locust as I have very limited experience with BL.

Offline bassman

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 02:41:08 pm »
I have sinew backed black locust with hide glue with good results,but they had nice chased rings  with no violation of the back. Right now I am out of sinew.I know if the bamboo backing is to thick it will crush the belly of the bow.I was thinking of a thin veneer of it. Thanks  Bob.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 03:06:49 pm »
Maple, hickory or elm will make good backings for your bow and like DC said, put the knot under the backing.
Will you post pics of your stave(bow) and the knot?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bassman

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 03:57:51 pm »
Pat I am just new to this sight ,and right now I would need my son or daughter to get pics up. Thanks for your help. I can get my hands on some hickory for backing . I will try that.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 04:16:00 pm »
bassman!

Welcome to PA.

I saw those photos.

For those who have not, there are knots (forget how many) that go across the width of the bow  in that the knots have not been accounted for by leaving the width wider there.

You essentially have made a board bow and board bows do not function well with knots. I had a hickory board bow break at a tiny pin knot I didn't see when selecting the board.

You could back it with rawhide but honestly you are taking a chance when shooting it.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bassman

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 06:18:16 pm »
Hey George, how are you. Just wanted to hear what the guys on primitive had to say about it.Thanks

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 06:47:06 pm »
     I believe the vast majority of board bows and bow backings are made from edge grain.

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 06:55:31 pm »
     I believe the vast majority of board bows and bow backings are made from edge grain.
I'm surprised to hear that. I knew backings were edge grain but it never occurred to me that board bows would be too. It only makes sense but it just never crossed my mind. First new thing I've learned this year. Good start :) :)

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2019, 07:11:07 pm »
I’ve made a bunch of edge grained ash bows backed with red oak and several edge grained Osage from a timber hauled out of a barn in Indiana. I’ve backetd the Osage with linen, hickory, bamboo, and sinew. It works fine; especially the ash. I would tell you that the Osage edge grained bows feel less lively than the stave bows I’ve made from Osage in the conventional manner but they are durable and respectable shooters.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2019, 05:13:09 am »
Nice to see you here on PA Bassman. You'll fit right in.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2019, 05:46:23 am »
Generally all of the edge grain backed edge grain bows I made seem to all end up with narrower lighter massed limbs than my self bows.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed