Author Topic: Anyone ever tried backing with a tanned snakeskin, rather than just dried?  (Read 1299 times)

Offline Taxus brevifolia

If so, how'd it go

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Bows can be backed with tanned skins but IMO, the tanned skin can act like a sponge and absorb moisture. I've done 1 or 2 over the years but greatly prefer dried skins.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline upstatenybowyer

What Pat said.  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Taxus brevifolia

Thanks guys

gutpile

only way to do it is soak in dawn hot water for a few hours ring out well.....rinse well then let air dry like regular skin... tanning does bring out the color on some ... my prettiest skin is a tan timberback..looks awesome.. gut

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Depends on the tanning solution. If antifreeze is used, yes what gutpile said, basically that is just a cure and not tanning. But if chrome tanned or other commercial tanning solutions is used what I said applies.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline vinemaplebows

Soak in acetone, strips them well.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Taxus brevifolia

This time of year they're harder to find, so I ended up buying a couple dried ones. Quite nice.

The reason I asked is, snakeskins of all types are readily available online, but they're all tanned.