Author Topic: Reverse Handle laminated wood bow  (Read 7609 times)

Offline buddyb

Reverse Handle laminated wood bow
« on: January 14, 2019, 12:47:23 pm »
Has anyone made or have pictures of a reverse handle longbow made of all wood laminations similiar to this one with no fiberglass? I'm very interested in this design and was wondering also if its even feasible?

Offline turmoiler

Re: Reverse Handle laminated wood bow
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 01:36:11 pm »

Offline buddyb

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 01:48:03 pm »
Thanks for the link, not exactly what I was looking for but close. I don't plan on using bamboo but hickory for the back and belly with a walnut core. Also, on the back I wasn't going to have the hickory glued over top of the riser, just the riser block blued on. It would have the same shape as the picture I posted.

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 02:46:47 pm »
Sure it can be done.  Go for it! 

But, these designs have the backing going over the riser to keep it from popping off. 

"Also, on the back I wasn't going to have the hickory glued over top of the riser, just the riser block blued on."  -what will keep the riser from popping off in this configuration?

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,64620.0.html

Offline kbear

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 03:18:44 pm »
Wow..... that really just looks like a left handed bow strung the wrong way to me....... Or a right side shooting right hander......

Offline buddyb

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 03:31:47 pm »
I was hoping the glue would keep the riser from popping off. This will be either a straight longbow or a slight reflex. Trying to figure out which glue to use. I have Systems Three T88 on hand but I was also thinking of Unibond or Dap's Weldwood plastic wood glue. If possible I don't want to purchase Smooth-on, I've used it before for glass bows and wasn't really thrilled with it.

The bow pictured is a JD Berry Morningstar reverse grip longbow.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 03:43:12 pm »
I think with a strait bow there would be no performance gain or even with a mild reflexed bows but they look cool, the bows that gain a edge are usually D/R bows like Ben posted , I'm curious why you didn't like smooth on ? The bow you posted was popular with HH bows a few years back !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 03:55:32 pm »
I was hoping the glue would keep the riser from popping off. This will be either a straight longbow or a slight reflex. Trying to figure out which glue to use. I have Systems Three T88 on hand but I was also thinking of Unibond or Dap's Weldwood plastic wood glue. If possible I don't want to purchase Smooth-on, I've used it before for glass bows and wasn't really thrilled with it.

The bow pictured is a JD Berry Morningstar reverse grip longbow.

I'm pretty sure the handle wouldn't stay glued when you start to bend the bow....Why not go over the riser with your backing to make it secure?

I haven't used T88, but I have used Unibond and Weldwood.  Those 2 work fine with Unibond being my favorite.

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 04:31:00 pm »
Wow..... that really just looks like a left handed bow strung the wrong way to me....... Or a right side shooting right hander......

I know that style can look a bit confusing but that really does just look like it's strung backwards.  Those bows do typically have wrap around back lams.

Offline buddyb

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 04:42:00 pm »
Smooth-on works fine I just prefer a thinner epoxy. I'm used to epon/Versamid.

I'm not sure how well hickory will make the bends in the riser is the only reason I was hoping to not put it over the riser. I want to use locally available woods like hickory and maple for the back and belly.

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 04:56:58 pm »
Yeah the fit from the riser to the backing needs to be really tight with no gaps. Heat bend the backing to riser fit 1st and you shouldn’t have problems. Hickory and/or maple will bend easily with a little heat at backing thicknesses. And make the riser transition long and smooth, like the one in your picture.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 05:02:22 pm by Bayou Ben »

Offline buddyb

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 05:17:22 pm »
I've never heat treated wood before but I can look it up, hopefully not too difficult. Otherwise, I'll use the firehose sysem.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 04:45:48 am »
How long of riser ? & what thickness backing  ?  You would probably ok with the fire hose form & a simple strait form would be easy to make , I did some exspermenting a while back with heating bending thicker wood lams & found I was getting some light cupping in the bend I came to the conclusion I needed a male presure peace to insure a smooth bend , I was bending 1/8 lams I never made a all wood lam bow with that tight of ramps but played with the idea I think it would depend on the thickness of the backing lam , I know there are guys here that have used as thin as 1/16 hickory , Im curious what over all taper rate your thinking ?
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Badger

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 07:21:41 am »
Would the purpose of this to be a shorter draw?

Offline buddyb

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 08:00:58 am »
The draw length would be 28"

The riser would be 16 or 17". The backing would be 1/8 to 1/16 and the laminations will be parallel. The majority of tillering would be done through the sides and edges of the limbs. The belly lamination may be a little thicker to allow for some tillering on the belly if needed. The bottom limb will be 1" shorter than the top. It will be 1 or 1 1/4 at the fades tapering down to around 1/2" at the tips. The bow will be 66" ntn. The glue up will be in 2 stages; all laminations then the riser or the core and belly lams then the riser and back lamination. I'm not looking for a speed bow but one that will be stable and comfortable for hunting.