Author Topic: Osage Sapwood D Bow  (Read 1993 times)

Offline Roosevelt

• Born in Arkansas. Living in LA.
Osage Sapwood D Bow
« on: January 25, 2019, 09:30:35 am »
Had a 3 in wide piece of osage that I split most of the heart off of. I planned to back it, but at 63 inches ntn I decided to see what she would do! This is my 3rd bow that's had an arrow shot through it and she's taken quite the beating. I held her over the stove top and heat bent it in the handle with some bacon grease and the hand rail in the backyard. Couldnt quite fix the twist. Two big gouges on the back, several knots, humps, side neck and some twist. Tiller is deceiving because of a knot and sudden twist in the upper limb, but that hinge is doing fine. Not much set. She's ugly as sin and is still alive. Her name is Lola :) I'll take a few more detailed pics when I put a finish on it.

Handle: 1" wide
Fades: 2"
Tips: 5/8"
45-46lbs @ 27" draw

Currently Working On:
Cherry Board Bow

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Osage Sapwood D Bow
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 12:17:03 pm »
You have a serious hinge in that top limb that you should address. You are dead straight out of the handle on the top limb for about 9" out of the fade, if you get a little bending in this area your hinge may get better.

Do you have a tillering gizmo?

Offline Roosevelt

• Born in Arkansas. Living in LA.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 09:25:49 pm »

Hows that looking?

I think I need to reduce the entire bottom limb?
Currently Working On:
Cherry Board Bow

Offline Morgan

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 11:04:38 pm »
Top limb looks a lot better to me. I agree that you need to get the bottom limb bending more. I marked where I think you need more bend on the bottom limb in red and where I think you should leave it alone in blue. I have a hard time eyeballing it in pictures though so someone else may see something completely different. Also, your tips are way too thick for your front profile in my opinion. It will make your bow shoot slow. Here’s also a pic of the tips on a 50 lb bow. That is plenty thick.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 07:15:09 am »
A tillering gizmo will mark the stiff spots in your lower limb. The red marks above sum it up.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 09:22:27 am »
A tillering gizmo will mark the stiff spots in your lower limb. The red marks above sum it up.

Yes, this! It is super easy and takes a few minutes to make one and it takes so much guesswork out of it. After you use one one time, you’ll be very thankful to mr. Krewson for the idea.