Author Topic: A REQUEST FOR THE NEW FOLKS  (Read 113606 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: A REQUEST FOR THE NEW FOLKS
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 03:32:26 pm »
Welcome guys and Thanks eh :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline akbowman

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2008, 04:11:19 pm »
Ok. Im a new folk. I cant figure out how to put a picture on there. Can you help me out?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 08:23:00 pm »
Take a look here if this doesn't help PM me and I will walk ya thru it ok :)

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,586.0.html
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline servicebeary

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2008, 11:19:13 pm »
correction!  I made it sound like I'm some might bow hunter lol,  I've only killed 1 elk with a bow and that's it for big game, everything else was pistol or rifle, but my pistols and rifles are now for sale.  no more guns 4 me
I take life 1 month in the Montana wilds at a time...

Offline akbowman

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2008, 02:51:50 pm »
Great site!

Im new here and figured i would take Dana's advice and make a short introduction.

I live in Alaska on the kenai river and have been and avid outdoorsman my entire life. I have been hunting with bow and arrow for probably 15-18 years, but until just recently, I had never shot a longbow, recurve, selfbow, flatbow, or any other form of bow other than a compound. My Brother-in-law had been talking about making bows out of hickory and i was interested but didnt know the first thing about it. At christmas time our family draws names for gifts and I ended up getting a hickory self bow that he made. From then on i have been completely hooked on the traditional stuff. To be able to make a bow out of a stick and then use it to hunt has got to be like tying your own flies and catching fish with them times 10.

Well to make a long story short, I have been pretty much obsessed with bow building every since christmas. I made my first one out of hickory with some cocobolo in the handle and on the tips. I made it for my wife so i made it 35# at 26" draw. Gave me a chance to figure out the tillering process and a lot of do's and dont's, and i didnt have to worry as much about it breaking being only 35#. Turned out pretty nice and was well worth the satisfaction that i got the first time that it launched and arrow. My second bow I made from maple with a hickory backing, this one i made 48# at 28", was shooting for 50-55 but got a little crazy on the tillering and settled for 48#. I didnt do any tip overlays but did put some bubinga in the handle and, wanting to use something alaskan, I also put a strip of birch in the handle. I would love to make some alaskan wood bows but its proven darn hard to find good bow wood here.

Anyway that is my story in a nutshell. Ill try to attach a couple of photos of the two bows that i have under my belt, feel free to critisize. I am brand spanking new to the bowyer world and any critisizm would be taken as constructive i assure you. Thank you for the great web site and i look forward to getting to know you all. In the picture with two bows, the one on the left is my first bow, the one on the right is my second.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline DanaM

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2008, 02:54:51 pm »
Nice bows and welcome aboard eh :)

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2008, 04:09:41 pm »
Look at that Purdy white Stuff...dang thats nice....oh and the Bows look good to...eh!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

alfadee

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2008, 05:48:58 pm »
hey im david and im from germany. im sorry if you cant understand my english but im 15 years old and i still have to learn very much.
i tought that i could learn here much about primitive skills and bow building.
here are a few pics of my latest and also first bow:

david

Offline DanaM

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2008, 09:21:15 pm »
looks good David, your english is better than some of us rednecks ;D
Welcome to PA

Manistique, MI

Offline african man

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2008, 05:15:30 pm »
Hi
I'm Chris from South Africa. I've been shooting since I was a kid (some people say I still am)and trying to build bows for a couple of years (made  bows as a kid but those don't count) I have been experimenting with our local woods and have had some really nice successes others not so good, only problem is we are not permitted to cut down indigenous trees.(have to wait for road clearing or suchlikes to collect wood "really"  ;) ;D >:D )     Just found and cut a  whole lot of Black Locust ( an invasive alien here) so that will keep me buissy for a while as well
Looking forward to the interaction here
Chris   

[attachment deleted by admin]
we all die but we all don't live

Offline John K

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2008, 10:56:50 pm »
Hey Chris, i've been watching you'r build along on that other site. Good stuff  ;D
Welcome to PA you'll fit right in here.
Hi to all the other new people also  :)

John
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2008, 11:47:46 pm »
Hi Chris....well nice to have you along for the Ride.....also you couldn't ask for a Better Bow wood to be an Invasive Tree!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Half Shaft

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2008, 03:13:14 am »
Hey.  My name is Brendon.  I'm from upstate Ny.

Basically it comes down to a conversation with a friend a few years ago.  I stated how I wanted to make my own archery equipment and other "primitive" skills.  Within a few moments I realized that I CAN do this.  So I lookes at everything archery for hints and clues. 

I'd look at magazines with "space bows" and think how far from the real thing it was, and pitty the dupe that thinks spenging a few grand on one makes him elite.  I could never find a magizine that had any real spirit.  That is until I found PA.  This is where the true elite reside. 

I have experimented with a few different contraptions, but am currently sitting on a couple logs waiting for better equipment.  I have recently bought a few floor tillered staves and some cane shafts.  I feel it kinda makes me a hack, but I want something for my girlfriend to shoot over the summer.  I also havent given up on the real way.

Well, no need yacking anymore.  I'll try to keep ya posted with the conditions of the staves after I get them, but until then I will bid thee farewell.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2008, 09:53:49 am »
Welcome to PA Chris and Brendon, glad ya decided to join us and thanks for taking the time
to introduce yourselves :)

Manistique, MI

Eric Garza

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2008, 03:02:28 pm »
Hey Folks,

I'm from Burlington, Vermont, in the New England area of the United States.  I'm actually a Doctoral student at the University of Vermont studying energy systems, renewable energy technologies, and Peak Oil.  I'm in the first year of the program, and will probably be a student for another few years, or so.

I've been making primitive bows for about 6 years, and have never shot a bow that I didn't make myself.  Most of my bows are shorter, just because it's easier to find and afford nice staves that are shorter and sinew backing doesn't take as long.  I also like the fact that shorter bows tend to be more maneuverable.

This coming fall will only be my third hunting season, and Vermont's not an easy place to hunt, so if anyone's nearby and would like to offer other opportunities get in touch.  I might be willing to trade some staves, bow-building mentoring, or even a custom-made bow for better hunting opportunities!

All the best!