Author Topic: Bamboo backing as opposed to?  (Read 3715 times)

Offline Badger

Bamboo backing as opposed to?
« on: January 28, 2019, 12:02:56 pm »
   I would be curious as to the results others have gotten using wood backings other than bamboo? I use primarily bamboo backing. I like the reliability of bamboo but I am getting tired of dealing with the inconsistencies in thickness dependent on how it grew. I like to be able to taper out my belly lam by eye for the most part instead of running to the tiller tree every 5 minutes. My fastest bows have been bamboo as far as I remember but only by a small margin and I have done so many more in bamboo than anything else the odds would favor it anyway.

Over the next few months I plan to work more with hickory, maple, white oak and maybe ash backings. When I stop to consider that I am loosing a little working limb under the nodes I should get less set with a regular wood backing.

It would be interesting to others experience here.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Bamboo backing as opposed to?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 12:06:18 pm »
I mostly do self bows but my backing of choice would be boo', the only reason I don't use it more is that some archery societies don't allow it for some competitions  ::)
Of the other woods, I'd choose Hickory or Yew sapwood (if I happen to have a long clean piece cut from a stave with V thick sapwood)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 12:50:22 pm »
I like hickory. I like the ease of uniformity in glue bows and I like the ease of wood backing. Boo is a pain in the arse to get flat and fairly consistent. I don't test my bows so I cant tell you which material is faster. I've built about 10 boo backed bows and just as many hickory backed.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 01:00:54 pm »
I've only done a few of each, boo and hard maple. I think boo is better by a small margin in performance but I like the appearance of boo better.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 01:34:44 pm »
I prefer hickory also. I never found boo to be reliable and with all the trouble prepping it I rarely use it. I don't test the speed of my bows either but from shooting I can tell hickory backed bows are slightly less fast than boo would be. I think the ease of backing with hickory makes up for the difference.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 02:46:44 pm »
I agree with wood backings being much easier. 
I trust boo more though.  I've had the occasional splinter with boo but other than that I've never had a catastrophic failure with it.  I've done 20 or more bamboo backed bows and only a handful of hickory and maple backs.
The hickory backed ones were tough but seemed to be a little slower than boo.  I've tried maple 3 times, and 2 of those times the bow exploded unexpectedly.  One of the ones that blew was a maple backed ipe tri lam that was the fastest bow I ever made. Was shooting high 180's fps @ 54 lbs, 10 gpp.  Because of that I will try maple again, just hopefully I can get it cut myself so I can trust it more.
Steve, I ran across an old thread where you mentioned that you got a hickory tree cut up to your specifications, and were able to get 100 or so backings from that tree.  I was wondering how did those backings work out?  It was interesting to see how you had the tree cut, basically flat sawn 4x4's.   

Offline willie

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 03:03:00 pm »
I mostly do self bows but my backing of choice would be boo', the only reason I don't use it more is that some archery societies don't allow it for some competitions  ::)
Of the other woods, I'd choose Hickory or Yew sapwood (if I happen to have a long clean piece cut from a stave with V thick sapwood)
Del

Yew sapwood. Tell us a bit more about what your experience with it is. I have long wondered if a backing that has more stretch would be the way to go for some bows. Seems like a good choice for "balancing" with the belly,  if one is using a more typical belly wood.
Doesn't boo shine when used with stuff like ipe?

Offline willie

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 03:08:11 pm »
I agree with wood backings being much easier. 
I trust boo more though.  I've had the occasional splinter with boo but other than that I've never had a catastrophic failure with it.  I've done 20 or more bamboo backed bows and only a handful of hickory and maple backs.
The hickory backed ones were tough but seemed to be a little slower than boo.  I've tried maple 3 times, and 2 of those times the bow exploded unexpectedly.  One of the ones that blew was a maple backed ipe tri lam that was the fastest bow I ever made. Was shooting high 180's fps @ 54 lbs, 10 gpp.  Because of that I will try maple again, just hopefully I can get it cut myself so I can trust it more.
Steve, I ran across an old thread where you mentioned that you got a hickory tree cut up to your specifications, and were able to get 100 or so backings from that tree.  I was wondering how did those backings work out?  It was interesting to see how you had the tree cut, basically flat sawn 4x4's.   

Cool experiment backing ipe with maple. I can see where the maple might be overworked. was the crossection rectangular? Maybe a flat back with a well rounded belly is in order, or some reverse trapping? how thick was your maple backing?

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 03:36:10 pm »
It was almost rectangular with the belly rounded more than the back.  The maple was a hair over 1/8" and tapered to just over 1/16".  I have another one glued up exactly the same but is has a thicker maple back.  We'll see how that one goes.
I found a few examples on here of maple backed ipe bows.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 03:41:22 pm »
the fastest bows are most likely to blow,, you are getting every thing out of them,, each time you shoot,, so its probably a good combo,,

Offline willie

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 03:43:31 pm »
I have another one glued up exactly the same but is has a thicker maple back.  We'll see how that one goes.
please let us know, I think you are going in the right direction

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 03:23:50 am »
I prefer bamboo. I like the performance and the look. I wouldn't necessarily say hickory is easier, all things considered. I guess if you buy it already cut and ground it is, but it only takes about a half hour to have a piece of bamboo ready to glue up, so that's not a deterrent for me.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 05:24:52 am »
I'm not the most experienced w/ wood-backed bows, but I will say that a thin, home-made hickory backing must be hard to beat. I'm a huge advocate of making them myself cause I control all the variables. Not to mention I've got plenty of hickory growing on my property.  )W(
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2019, 06:23:56 am »
I have tried Bamboo, Maple, Hickory, Ash, Elm and a couple more as backings.  I would have to say that it would depend on what the core is when I choose a backing, I never use a hardwood on a dense tropical.  For performance I wouldn't be able to positively say that Bamboo performs better because i think it has more to do with choosing the right backing for the core.  I have come to not trust Hickory as a backing, possibly because I can't cut my own.  Maple on the right core and the right design will give top performance and I've yet to have a Maple backing fail on me, I am quite picky as to which tree I cut for backing material.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Badger

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2019, 06:27:56 am »
     Ipe is cheap and easy to get so I tend to experiment with it a bit more than I do osage. I have used maple, red oak, white oak, and hickory with good luck. Lately almost all the boo I have found is not all that straight so even when ground flat it still has thick spots.