Author Topic: Ash down under.........  (Read 3516 times)

Offline kbear

Ash down under.........
« on: February 03, 2019, 01:34:19 am »
Hi folks. Here is a bow I made for my brother. I owe him one since many years ago I broke one of his....... strung it the wrong way...... what an idiot!

Anyways,

70" nock to nock, 45lb at 28" Australian "Red Ash". This bow is made from all natural materials. Horn tips, arrow rest and striker plate of African Kudu horn snugly fitted and glued on with gelatin glue. Linen string with rabbit fur silencers, brass wire nock, and home-made string wax of beeswax and rosin. The bow was finished an experimental "varnish" I made of linseed oil and pine resin dissolved in gum turps. It didn't really turn out as hoped; further research tells me I have to cook this mixture for a couple of hours at 170 degrees C, outside of course. I gave it a rub with beeswax since the "varnish" wasn't drying properly.

The roughed out and seasoned stave was actually slightly reflexed before I started tillering, but as can be seen below, the finished bow has about an inch of string follow. It took set pretty much as soon as I braced it at full brace. Didn't really seem to take any more during final tillering, or at the range though, so, happy with that. I am really happy with this wood. I have tried many Australian species, and though I have had some success with a few varieties in board form, I was never really happy with the process. It all seemed too mechanical. Glueing on handles........ profiling with a band saw to straight lines and exact dimensions. Rawhide backings etc. I much prefer the hatchet and rasp method, using my eye to find the bow in the log. etc.

My grateful thanks to this site, and all those that contribute, to provide me a source of inspiration to pursue this most rewarding hobby.

I took it to the range last week to shoot it in. I had put a little over 50 arrows through it, when the groundsman started up the mower. Oh well, up to you now brother..... shoot her in!

Eden's bow, at rest. by korey Aitkenhead, on Flickr

Eden's bow, back. by korey Aitkenhead, on Flickr

Eden's bow, belly. by korey Aitkenhead, on Flickr

Eden's bow, grip. by korey Aitkenhead, on Flickr

Eden's bow, at brace. by korey Aitkenhead, on Flickr

Eden's bow, linen string. by korey Aitkenhead, on Flickr

Eden's bow, horn tip, top. by korey Aitkenhead, on Flickr

Eden's bow, horn tip, bottom. by korey Aitkenhead, on Flickr

Eden's bow, full draw. by korey Aitkenhead, on Flickr

Offline backtowood B2W

Re: Ash down under.........
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 04:28:01 am »
Hey- Ash grows down under? Any ash disease there too?
Nice bow really like the almost Sudbury design, I would say tiller looks good and set isn't that much, well done
 - I want to try out one in ash too now!

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 05:19:13 am »

Really nice stretched out Sudbury look.

Hey- Ash grows down under? Any ash disease there too?

Despite  the name it's not really Ash.   A lot of those trees just have an English name based on what they resembled to the Colonists.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 05:32:34 am »
Good looking bow, your brother should be proud of that one.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 05:36:35 am »
Nice tiller. Good looking bow. Hope that your brother forgives you. I think he will.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 06:27:04 am »
Your brother is one lucky guy. That's a very nice bow. Nothing against board bows but I agree finding a bow hidden in a stave is a more rewarding build. Well done.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline rps3

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 07:08:51 am »
Great looking bow, I hope your brother enjoys it.

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 08:42:14 am »
Very nice bend :D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 08:58:17 am »
Very nice bow. The tiller is spot on.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 09:14:21 am »
 :OK

Offline Hamish

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2019, 04:20:00 pm »
Nice work Korey, Looks beaut. I still haven't touched my red ash a year later after roughing out a couple. Once again lovely work.

Backtowood, genuine fraxinus ash does grow in Australia too. Common garden tree in the cooler, southern states. I'm not aware of any ash disease in Aus, but that doesn't mean that its not here despite having some of the strictest quarantine in the world. We have dutch elm disease here.

The red ash that Korey used is best likened to American hickory in its properties.  Very tough fibrous wood. It is not deciduous like fraxinus, and is diffuse porous.

Offline Rākau

• Aotearoa-the land of the long white cloud
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2019, 10:07:37 pm »
love seeing bows from down under species bro, she looks like a beauty!

Offline kbear

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2019, 01:46:24 am »
Nice work Korey, Looks beaut. I still haven't touched my red ash a year later after roughing out a couple. Once again lovely work.

Backtowood, genuine fraxinus ash does grow in Australia too. Common garden tree in the cooler, southern states. I'm not aware of any ash disease in Aus, but that doesn't mean that its not here despite having some of the strictest quarantine in the world. We have dutch elm disease here.

The red ash that Korey used is best likened to American hickory in its properties.  Very tough fibrous wood. It is not deciduous like fraxinus, and is diffuse porous.

Thanks Hamish. You may recall it was you who put me onto this great bow wood, in addition to a source for good quality goat rawhide for backings. How good is this community hey? Cheers mate. I have another five "Ash" staves roughed out, seasoned, and ready to go. By the time I am done with those, my Osage billets should be ready. Exciting times!

And Thanks to all. What a thrill to have such encouraging feedback!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2019, 07:01:48 am »
Wow! Fantastic bow with an excellent tiller. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2019, 10:52:22 am »
Nice!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry