Author Topic: gaining weight problem  (Read 3965 times)

Offline possum

gaining weight problem
« on: April 06, 2008, 02:36:18 pm »
Wow, I guess that title sounds more like a personal problem, huh? :-[  Anyway, I built a a 51.5" sinewed back osage bow.  It's from a stave I piggybacked.  This is the back split.  Slightly propellared (sp) and 1.5" wide for about 15" on each limb with 2" fades @4" handle, glued on handle.  I tillered it to about 45#@24ish" when the sinewed cured for about a month.  Well, I set it aside after deer season and a few days ago I put it in my heat box and yesterday it drew 60@24ish.  Well, tiller ain't great now.  Where can I get a picture of a good short bow tiller?  I know it's short but I'm sure it has a little different arc, or then again I could be off as usual.  Thanks,

possum

ps  I'm working on a few pics now (or when I log off anyway ;))
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: gaining weight problem
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 03:05:09 pm »
The humidity was probably considerably higher when you were shooting it before.  The heat box will also drive out moisture.  I would leave it alone and let it stabilize to the RH of your area.  If you tiller it down to 45# then the sinew soaks up a little moisture you could wind up with a 25# bow.  I'm sure Pat will weigh in and tell you about "elkie" and how much weight it gained by moving from South Carolina to Colorado.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline possum

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 03:08:26 pm »

This is at 5.75" brace now.  I don't have any pics from before.

This is at about 18".  I meant to have it at 19 but I guess I let up a bit while snapping the picture. :-[
It is showing 45@19.
Where is my trouble?
possum

I just saw the post from Justin.  How long should I let it sit?
"To ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good." George Washington

mebane NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 05:29:03 pm »
Possum, You have a little hoop-tee-do about 8" out from the handle on the right limb. Just past that looks a bit stiff. The left limb seems to be bending nicely.
   When I built Elkie(60"t/t, sinew backed osage with a similar profile as yours) she came out at 56#@26" with a month drying time after each of 3 courses of sinew. A month later she was at 45#@26" due to humidity. I sent it out to Colorado for a hunt and when I got there she was back up to 55#@26" and a month after I left her in Colorado she was pulling about 65#@26". Humidity has a big effect on sinew backed bows. Maybe thats why the S.E Native Americans didn't use sinew as a bow backing or use short bows. ;D      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 10:41:56 pm »
I think you should get that near handle wood bending more. In a short bow getting all of the limb to bend is important.  Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 10:58:53 pm »
  I agree with Jawge, but you need to be carefull you are not far from hingeing it. Especially on the right limb just back from the #8 on the wall, towards the handle.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline possum

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 08:18:00 am »
I think the hoop-tee-do is a knot.  I never flattened the knots or removed the extra wood when I sinewed it.  I probably should have and it would have made tillering it easier.  I'm not sure it is close to hinging I just think it is wider, making it look look like it bends quickly there.  Nevertheless, I will look at it more closely when I string it up again.  I'm gonna give it a bit to reacclimate to my humidity here as Justin suggested.  I will post more pics later, gotta get the kids to school. :)

possum

mebane NC

Offline possum

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 11:24:34 am »
Well, I figured I'd post a few better shots of the bow.

This is a side view of the upper limb that had a "hinge"

here is a view of same area but from the belly.
Now, as I see it, the extra wood for the underlying knot made it look like it bends very quickly in this area.  It may very well still hinge there... I'm not that good at seeing these things. :-\  So, armed with this new info, please look again and see if you still see the hinge.  If you still see it I will gladly rectify it.  I will still try to get that near handle wood bending more.  thank you,

possum

mebane NC

Offline african man

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 06:25:33 pm »
I agree with PatB looks a bit stiff on the right limb and near handle wood might need to bend a bit more , but otherwise looks like a nice bow you have coming along there (love the knots )
Chris 
we all die but we all don't live