Author Topic: 51# Black Locust  (Read 6120 times)

Offline M2A

51# Black Locust
« on: February 05, 2019, 06:24:29 pm »
Hi folks. Finished up a piece of locust that I originally started on for the bow swap last year. After getting it floor tillered there was an area in the wood I was skeptical of so I put it in the corner and moved on to another piece. The area in question...is an indent in the growth ring on the back maybe 1" long by .5"wide. This area is also lighter in color like sap wood that continues into the belly. I looked it over several times since and kept putting it back until about a month ago. Figured I'd give it a go, make or break I would not be looking at it all the time in my shop.
Turns out that area gave me no issues. The biggest problem I faced was twist in the limbs coming out of the fades. I didn't try and take it out but it played tricks with my eyes when tillering.

Figured I would try another 66" locust bow but change the profile a bit from the last one I built, to compare. I started the taper much soon(half limb) from 2" to .5 at nocks. I was able to leave the last 10" stiffer than usual while gaining 3/4" string follow after tillering and several hundred shots. I think the longer taper made a noticeable difference in cast.

Spent a long time working on the lower fade to get it moving. Finally got things to where I'm happy. Very smooth draw, nice release. Glad I went back to this piece.

Made a stain from black walnuts and applied it to the bow and rawhide grip. Tip overlays are black cherry and blackhaw viburnum. Figured I'd go with a black(x) theme on this one lol. I knocked down the grain after staining and it gave the bow a worn look. Going to work on this some more in the future. Also had some scrap diamondback skin I added into the handle.

Think that's everything on this one. I leave you guys with the pics. Thanks for looking. Mike

IMG_2530 (2) by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_2531 (2) by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_2532 (2) by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_2534 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_2537 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_2538 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_2540 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_2541 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_2542 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_2545 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_2550 (3) by Mike Allridge, on Flickr

Offline bassman

Re: 51# Black Locust
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 08:41:37 pm »
Tiller,tips ,riser wrap,stain all look very good.Job very well done . I like it.

Offline kbear

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 11:27:30 pm »
Aw nice! I really like the stain. Thanks for sharing

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 04:12:18 am »
Turned out nice. Sometimes they have to talk to us a little longer. Sometimes we need a little reassurance they'll be all right.
Glad you heard the word. Looks much better than leaning in the corner unfinished.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 05:20:06 am »
It looks great M2A. Way to stick with it.  :OK

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean when you say, "knocked down the grain after staining." I looks really cool so I have to ask.  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 05:22:18 am »
Very nice job Mike.  Glad you finished that one up.  That is a great looking bow.

I have had that indent on several black locusts staves I have worked.  They definitely play tricks on you, especially when chasing a ring.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 05:31:25 am »
Nice work, tiller looks dead on. :) Love the stain job.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 05:44:18 am »
Nice bow Mike. That is awesome.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 06:25:43 am »
Excellent tiller on that bow. I like it very much. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 06:27:37 am »
nice job!  My last 2 were black locust and I like it.  ~stain raises the grain and it needs lightly sanded or burnished to 'knock it back down'
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 08:20:50 am »
Very nice black locust bow. Well done.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 11:24:27 am »
Really like that bow, the tips looking really cool  - gonna try some burning there too.
cheers B2W

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2019, 12:55:51 pm »
 Very nice tiller and I like the finish work!

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2019, 01:51:19 pm »
 Mike,
          An excellent bend and great balance from you...All the bows you have posted on here show your serious about your work...Really nice buddy, your patience has paid off... That is M2A+

Don

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline M2A

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2019, 07:13:42 pm »
Thank you Bassman, Kbear and Brogg

I boiled about a dozen black walnuts in just enough water to cover them for about 90 min Upstate. So its a water based stain/dye. So it raised the grain on the belly just a bit. Just like Mr Barnes mentioned. So I took a few passes with 400 grit sandpaper. I liked the color it was bringing out so I sanded a bit more on the fades. Think next time Ill try and sand the whole bow with finer grit.(but getting ahead of myself now) :)

Swampman, there was another spot like that just outside the handle and I could not find a good reason for the ring to dip like that. Think I have 2 or 3 more pieces from this tree so I might see some more some day.

Thanks Pappy, Hoosierf, and Mr Tsoukalas!

Thanks Bob. I like BL also. Locust has been the best wood I have been able to cut myself with any regularity. Theres something about the hunt, trying to find that really nice tree. that's half the fun for me.

I think a little wood burning would would look great on one of your style of bows B2W

Thank you Pat and Leonwood.

Thanks Don. I thought I had patience until I started down this road. Then I had to learn a whole new level of it. But its great to have some success over the last year since I joined this forum. Thanks again for your input on this one.

Always enjoy seeing the top notch work from you guys. Its been a good 1st year here in the forum.

Thanks, Mike