Author Topic: Bamboo backed limon wood?  (Read 3649 times)

Offline sleek

Bamboo backed limon wood?
« on: February 28, 2019, 07:53:20 am »
I have a 1x2 ish piece of lemon wood from cuba. Id like to make a 35# bow of it at 26 for my wife. How well does limon wood do when backed with bamboo? Id like to cut it in half long ways, and back each half with bamboo to make two bows. Nothing fancy, just one bow 35@26, the other 45@26. Probably just gonna do a very simple D bow with a built up riser and power lams to increase thickness at the grip.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline hoosierf

Re: Bamboo backed limon wood?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 08:35:24 am »
I have one I made from a York lemonwood bow where the fiber backing was failing. Good shooter that one. It’s 66” long and no more than 1.25” wide.   I used a tapered bamboo backing from Carson and Tite Bond.  When I first glued it up the York was 37# and the boo added at least 35# of draw weight so I had quite a bit of tillering to do and it worked out fine.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 08:54:02 am »
I did a boo backed lemonwood last year and the lemonwood fretted. That doesn't mean it will not work, just my experience. For that light of a bow maybe rawhide backing would be more appropriate or possibly a very thin(1/16") hickory or hard maple backing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 09:42:28 am »
I would agree bamboo might be overkill. Hickory sounds ideal.

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 10:28:45 am »
   I have had several good boards of Cuban Degame over the years and have used it for boo backed bows as well as self bows. Honestly I have never been impressed with it. It is very easy to work but will fret fairly easily. I seems to do ok with basic designs and elbs. Overall I rate it very low on my list.

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 10:09:07 am »
Did you get your lemonwood in Cuba or imported from another country? I’m in Cuba now and am looking for a place to buy some to bring back.
Reading
The Traditional Boyers Bible Vol 1
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 04:44:11 pm »
Did you get your lemonwood in Cuba or imported from another country? I’m in Cuba now and am looking for a place to buy some to bring back.

Oh, it was imported in the 30s or 40s id reckon. I hope you enjoy your stay there.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 01:43:04 am »
I’ve made about a half dozen or so boo backed lemonwood bows. Great speedy combo love the smell of the wood.
Taper your boo and it’ll be fine.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 09:07:18 am »
Went to the mountains yesterday with my AirBnb host and cut 3 pieces. 1 is about 5” long 6-7 inches diameter and the other 2 are 2 1/2 long. Very straight and heavy. Getting it home may be a problem simply because it’s green. Hope to check it in my luggage. Believe it or not getting through customs coming back from here is kind of a joke. I hope to share some when I get home.
I have also learned there are two types. One is from New Zealand and the Cuban stuff, Degame is Limonwood. This is my understanding anyway.
Reading
The Traditional Boyers Bible Vol 1
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 11:53:09 am »
If you're bringing it back to the US you better check with US Customs and US Dept. of AG. They may not want you to bring in freshly cut wood in to the US.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 12:21:15 pm »
Went to the mountains yesterday with my AirBnb host and cut 3 pieces. 1 is about 5” long 6-7 inches diameter and the other 2 are 2 1/2 long. Very straight and heavy. Getting it home may be a problem simply because it’s green. Hope to check it in my luggage. Believe it or not getting through customs coming back from here is kind of a joke. I hope to share some when I get home.
I have also learned there are two types. One is from New Zealand and the Cuban stuff, Degame is Limonwood. This is my understanding anyway.

I'd be amazed if they let it through. Even though there is no connection the ban on bringing lemons in  will likely be the undoing.

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 02:13:34 pm »
Call it something that is not banned. Or have it debarked and  painted really quick with local scenery to look like a souvenir.

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2019, 04:42:09 pm »
I've read that they want the bark off. Too many bugs hide in the bark. Also if the bark is off they can see any borer holes.

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2019, 05:57:07 pm »
I mean... if you REALLY REALLY want it thay bad, and they turn you down at customs,  paint your address on it, say if found, mail to this adress for a reward. And throw in in the ocean. Free delivery to Miami Fl is pretty certain. After that, have reward money ready for the guy delivering it.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2019, 03:51:27 am »
There is a reason they aren't supposed to let certain things in the country. Emerald Ash Bore is one of them. Sure wish they had kept it out. It's been devastating to our hardwood forest. Still hard to believe a bug could kill so many trees so quickly.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise