Author Topic: Ipe board bows (unbacked)  (Read 14713 times)

Offline artcher1

Ipe board bows (unbacked)
« on: April 07, 2008, 01:31:04 pm »
Anybody make 'em unbacked? Friend of mine has a nice clean straight bias cut board and I thinking of making and unbacked bow from it. I know of one bowyer who has been successful but I'm wondering if maybe he's the exception instead of the rule.  Or rather the Ipe wood he was using was. Anybody else build 'em this way? -ART B

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Ipe board bows (unbacked)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 01:44:06 pm »
I think justin done one unbacked last month,just need to look back and see. ???
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 01:54:17 pm »
I've made some unbacked ipe board bows - a few kids bows and one for myself.  I find that if you make the limbs thin and flat the wood holds up better to the bending stresses but you'll sacrifice some performance.  The most efficient design is narrow with a trapped belly.  You might be able to get away with that design in a long, lightweight (draw) bow but definitely not for a heavy short bow.  ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 02:13:14 pm »
My very first bow was Ipe. I've still got it - haven't shot it for years. I could never tell where the grain was and had quite a splinters show up on the back.   
I think, though, that a laminate is the way to go for Ipe as evidence by some of the nice Ipe laminates on this forum.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline artcher1

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 02:38:36 pm »
Thanks guys!

Found Justin's thread. Thinking about making a shorter (62-64") rigid handle hunting bow. My draw length is only around 24" so that should be a plus.

Oldbow, yeah, you're right of course. Just wanting to try something a little different though.-ART B

Rich Saffold

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 05:16:43 pm »
Oldbow Sometimes you can string the bow and slip a little superglue under these splinters.. I have seen bows heavy ones lined with splinters on the back that still shoot just fine..Some ipe has this funny grain, and does this. You can also just back it with hide or leather as well. I used to back ipe selfbows in fine shape just for insurance as they say...

Artcher, I have made many ipe selfbows and have friends who have their share as well. The first article a I wrote on ipe was about making selfbows from it. Amazon natives been doing it for thousands of years. Kowechobe's (Bob's) self bow is on the first page of my article last August, and is a great example to follow as well.

There are 100 species of the Tabebuia , or Lapacho (ipe) tree so theres a great amount of variety compared to when one says "osage" or yew for example..I have used boards with shallow run offs that held just fine. I think going slow on the tillering process, and letting the bow sit strung helps insure survival of these bows since its a compression strong wood and in a much drier climate than its normally used in.

Rich

Offline snedeker

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 05:26:32 pm »
I did one on a nicely aligned slat on which I could with surety identify two runouts, bouth in the outer half of one limb, which I put on top.  I went 1 and 1/4" wide 66" long.  I used the technique of burnishing the back (with a big old metal spoon) to halp hold down the runouts.  It came it at 50#/27".  I don't know if the burnishing helped but it didn;t hurt.

Dave

Offline artcher1

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 09:10:30 am »
Thanks Rich and Dave. That gives me a better idea of what I want and need to do. -ART B

Offline Aries

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 05:51:29 pm »
Where can you get Ipe? i have looked at a few speciality woodcrafting stores to no avail  Ty
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 05:56:30 pm »
I found mine at a local hardwood supplier that specializes in decking material.

Offline Aries

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 06:07:09 pm »
Well we dont have to many decking suppyers in my small town ::) I may have to give a few places in the city a call, But of course i will have to find somewhere to get some boo too :-\   Ty
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 06:13:35 pm »
I know the feeling can't buy anything up here in the UP :(
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 07:14:01 pm »
i once heard about an online place called the ipe depot..you guys might try there.  Just trying to be helpful.  I might check and see what the hardwood place has here in town and then maybe I could hook you up.  I will be honest though I do not have a whole lot of faith in my board selection skills....can't read grain worth a hoot in these boards lol.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 03:39:59 am »
The lumbar yard I frequent here in San Jose has tons of ipe in lengths to 30'.  I'm just starting to use the stuff, but the unbacked elb I recently completed is holding together well and shoots remarkably fast.  An unbacked ipe flat bow I made years ago is still doing well, too.  The older bow was just a lark when I had some "brazilian mahogany" leftover from another project.
The grain in ipe boards can be very difficult to see, much less read for run out.  If anybody is willing to trust my 'eye' and selection, I'll mill and offer some bow blanks for trade.
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 08:54:05 am »
I don't see why you would want to try a selfbow with it as IPE really shines with a Bamboo backing. The bows are virtually unaffected by a humid climate, they are fast and long lasting
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com