Author Topic: Bracing  (Read 7383 times)

Offline DC

Bracing
« on: April 04, 2019, 01:37:53 pm »
I forget, is there any problem with bracing to early? Other than a hernia ;D

Offline High-Desert

Re: Bracing
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 01:42:10 pm »
There might be a problem, but I’ve always got it braced as soon as possible and never had any issues. It’s not bending very far, and as long as you have a good floor tiller. I don’t even do low brace anymore.
Eric

Offline aaron

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 02:28:39 pm »
I think bracing too early could lead to set and I wait until the end to brace. I brace it when I get it tillered out to at least 20 inches (for a 28 inch draw). I tiller on the shortest long string possible.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 02:31:15 pm »
I brace mine as soon as I can muscle a string on it. Low brace for me. I want it floor tillered even so that it is balanced limb to limb and then string it up. Helps me get the limbs right with a string on it.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Bayou Ben

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 03:01:31 pm »
I think bracing too early could lead to set and I wait until the end to brace. I brace it when I get it tillered out to at least 20 inches (for a 28 inch draw). I tiller on the shortest long string possible.

These are my thoughts too.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 03:43:23 pm »
I never use a long string, it a LIAR! 😂

Floor tiller straight to low brace(like 4” or so) Never had a problem. Extra set? Nah you’re already ahead of all that. Once I get to 18” full fistmele brace:)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 03:49:11 pm »
Think about that.  If you brace early, very heavy, lots of belly wood ends up on the floor.  If anything has taken set, it's been removed.  As you remove that wood you lighten the load as you go, so less strain on the wood, less set.  Getting a string on it early means you can get the brace profile dialed in way early.  Once that brace profile is right, the rest is dialing in minor adjustments as you go.  Since your still heavy, a good bit of wood will still be removed.  Any damaged wood ends up on the floor.  I know this to be true.  My bows as a rule hold their profiles well. I am the first to tell people that in this craft there are many ways to skin that cat, and I don't claim my way is the right way.  It's just my way.  But I will claim that my way works.
Bryce is right.  Good floor tiller is critical. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 04:04:54 pm »
 I brace(low) as soon as I can, being sure everything is good. The quicker you get to brace the sooner you see how the string tracks and if both limbs are bending evenly and together.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline willie

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 04:20:27 pm »
probably not too much as long as the tiller shape is ok and the remaining wood removal is proportional.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 04:24:33 pm »
I think there are advantages to both,, not sure how to prove anything, have had good results stringing soon,, and also waiting,,  (-P

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 05:57:05 pm »
The last 2 or 3 bows I've held off on the bracing and found myself fighting a surprise hingey spot. This one came out of the glueup 40#@ about 17-18". Too close for me so I wanted to brace it right away. Seems to have worked. No surprises and still enough wood to take off so I feel safe.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 06:46:04 pm »
I do like Pat, Slimbob and Bryce. I go right from floor or what I call vice tiller to low brace. I'm usually pretty close on tiller. Then I just try to perfect my tiller till I reach my desired draw weight and length.
Bjrogg
PS there is always a little pucker factor on that first brace.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2019, 07:25:45 pm »
Pucker time for me is that period between about 20 inches and full draw. If ones gonna break on me, that’s when it will happen. First draw to 27 inches is a relief.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2019, 08:07:14 pm »
I think it can vary also,, depending on the draw weight of the bow,,the heavier bows seem to be more difficult to judge for me,,

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2019, 08:39:02 pm »
It seems we all do what works best for us.  I cut my tip nocks and  use a long string until the last few inches, like Aaron. 
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...