Author Topic: Goofy question  (Read 7325 times)

Offline Woodely

Goofy question
« on: April 09, 2019, 01:29:27 pm »
Does an R/D bow out perform a recurve or a bow with only Deflex .    Is there even such a bow with just a little deflex only..?
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline DC

Re: Goofy question
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 01:57:04 pm »
I think so but it's probably more of a gut feeling. You can put as much or as little deflex as you want. I usually use about 10° deflex. I tried one with 40° but it's too unstable to get a string on.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 02:28:14 pm »
Did you mean Reflex??????

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 02:44:24 pm »
Deflex in the handle and reflex in the limb.

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 02:53:10 pm »
I think so but it's probably more of a gut feeling. You can put as much or as little deflex as you want. I usually use about 10° deflex. I tried one with 40° but it's too unstable to get a string on.

That profile would be a prime candidate for short wide working limbs. Bet if you widen the first 8 inches,  ypu would have a super fast bow.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 03:11:52 pm »
It's a little piece of Hazel. Only 1 1/8" wide. It's been in the corner of shame for a few(quite a few)months. One day when I'm feeling masochistic I'll break out the heat gun and see if I can get it to hold a string. Guys got to do something silly every once in a while.

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 03:34:26 pm »
It's a little piece of Hazel. Only 1 1/8" wide. It's been in the corner of shame for a few(quite a few)months. One day when I'm feeling masochistic I'll break out the heat gun and see if I can get it to hold a string. Guys got to do something silly every once in a while.

From what Badger has been teaching me,  this is a good design, it just needs shorter bending area... aka, molly.

Offline Woodely

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 03:35:16 pm »
Did you mean Reflex??????
Nope..  I mean just a little bit of Deflex in the handle area.   "You can put as much or as little deflex as you want."    Ya but to much Deflex would make for a low draw bow.  My question was not really answered. 

-R/D
-Reflex (curved tips)
-Deflex basically a flat bow with deflex in the handle.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 03:42:07 pm »
Just thinking out loud...Without the reflex, the string angle is gonna suffer in addition to starting behind the handle to begin with.  Stack weight would be an issue.  Inefficient I would think without the reflex.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2019, 03:50:07 pm »
I made a couple deflex bows. No reflex. Real sweet smooth drawing. Not slow either, the deflex allows a thicker limb to compensate for the lower early draw weight,  and thicker is quicker.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 03:58:26 pm by sleek »

Offline Woodely

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2019, 03:56:24 pm »
Just thinking out loud...Without the reflex, the string angle is gonna suffer in addition to starting behind the handle to begin with.  Stack weight would be an issue.  Inefficient I would think without the reflex.
Exactly that's what I thought but just asking anyway,  maybe if early draw weight is sufficient like Sleek mentioned.

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2019, 04:00:17 pm »
Exactly that's what I thought but just asking anyway,  maybe if early draw weight is sufficient like Sleek mentioned.

Early draw weight will be lower. It has to be, but, you will see that with a deflex of say,  2 inches, it will be a nice shooter. Much more than 3 and you get into bad losses that you need reflex to fix.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2019, 04:16:07 pm »
If you have made some and they worked well, fair enough.  Just thinking through it, I don't see how string angle wouldn't be an issue.  Keeping the the draw short would help, but that comes with it's own limitations.  I would think that some reflex on the design fixes the string angle issue and allows you to use a longer power stroke. I would think that is an improvement.  Never made a bow with only deflex so again, just thinking out loud. 

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2019, 04:41:28 pm »
String angle isnt affrcted, the angle at brace and full draw are the same as a reflexed bow. The difference is lower early draw, but it picks up pretty quickly, quicker than a straight bow probably.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2019, 05:06:05 pm »
Please don't take this as argumentative because I don't mean for it to be.  I am not any kind of engineer or physicist (lord knows), but I cant see how string angle wouldn't come into play.  Yes with only 2 inches of deflex you minimize that, but the tips still start behind the handle by 2 inches.  With no reflex the angle is there to some degree, and it gets worse as you draw the bow.  Early draw weight might offset some of that, but wouldn't early draw weight AND some reflex, like the Duoflex for example make for a more efficient bow?